Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolysods

Columnea questions

dolysods
18 years ago

I love columneas. I have several and have been unsuccessful at growing any of them that have the bronzy green leaf..such as midnight lantern, chocolate soldier, flash fire. I cannot figure out what the difference is in those vs the others. I recently repotted my midnight lantern from the av convention.. it was alive and just saw it today.. looks like it dried up..maybe they aren't as forgiving with neglect (my others thrive). Do you think they need different light? I've tried them in the basement (when i had over flow sale plants from our show).. same thing :o(

thanks

Tracey

Comments (5)

• stonesriver
    18 years ago

Tracey:

How do you grow your columnea? And what do you mean by neglect?

I have 20+ varieties and treat them all the same: Reservoir water and continually fertilize (1/4 strength). I let them go semi-dry and leech out the pots every six to eight weeks.

I have a healthy 'Midnight Lantern' in an unobstructed south window and another under lights (12-14 hours per day).

I grow my AVs, episcias and chiritas the same way. Don't know if this helps you.

Linda

• dolysods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i grow them like i do all my other plants (av's, episcias etc). The neglect is possibly letting them go too dry. It just seems to be more tempermental. I have several outside right now too. They probably get about 10 hours of light in my plant room. I might give it another try and keep and try it in the greenhouse. I don't know if humidity if a factor for those or not. I dont' see my gauge any where.

i use all the same soil mix (for wicking 1-1-1) for my plants. I was just hoping for a reason.. something i could fix.

• domeman
    18 years ago

This may not help a lot in fuinding a solution......
    but I find that some columnea just do this. They will just drop their leaves and the stems dry out and die. Taking cuttings regularly and replanting gets around this for me.

• dolysods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

it was the first repotting since i bought it in April. Now i wish i had potted it! :(

• jon_d
    18 years ago

Your problem is a mystery to me. I have never been a great columnea grower. They need more humidity than I have in dry California, I guess. They also hate to dry out. And, they hate heavy dense soil. But 1-1-1 doesn't sound bad to me. What might work though is to increase the perlite consituant to 2 parts, or increase the perlite and sphagnum peat to two parts, thus cutting the vermiculite to a half part. Or, if you can find, coarse peat, switch to that. It will give a more open epiphytic type mix. Some people use fine bark in their mix too. But, bark will decompose and make a very fine silt like compost with time, so they need to be transplanted to new mix after a year or two. To make the best plants, root a number of cuttings and pot them together, such as ten cuttings in a five inch pot. Pinch them and let them branch to make a really full compact plant.

Jon

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County