Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus care question for a newbie

Posted by scurbanfarmer 7b-8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 12:43

Hello,
I am an extreme newbie to Streptocarpus. I have been gardening indoors and out for about 14 years....but, I finally decided after several years of a stalkerish kind of love for streps to give them a try. lol

I did a lot of research online before buying them, and I'd just like your advice on whether or not I'm doing a good job or not.

I purchased three plants from a seller on ebay. They are all in 2 inch pots at the moment with three leaves.
She said they were at a point to be able to be potted up.
I worried that they needed to be in a very free draining soil ( more free draining than what I had my African Violets in....so I purchased AV soil, Perlite, and Orchid bark.)
My little mix has 1 12 oz solo cup of av soil, 2 cups of perlite and 1 cup of orchid bark.
Do you think this will be a good mix? I think it feels really good, I think when the time comes that I'd like to repot my av's from their ugly pots, I'll use this mix for them as well. lol
I don't wick, i'm too much of a control freak....I bottom water all my plants...well, I mean control freak in the most loving, nurturing kind of way possible...they are my little babies! lol

Are these plants at a stage to be re-potted?
I can figure out how to add a pic if need be.

Oh, I also have these on my kitchen counter where I just installed a grow light under the cabinet for them.
The AV's seem to love it under there.

Any little tips you would be so gracious to impart upon me would be more appreciated than you would ever know!
I can't wait to see them bloom!!

Once they are big enough, I would love to be able to share them....especially with someone else in my position now....who has a love for them, but has none. lol
Annother motivation for me to get them growing healthty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus care question for a newbie

Here is a picture....maybe. lol

Streptocarpus babies

Here is a link that might be useful: My Streps.

o

After some more research..I think these guys might want a more pourous soil than what I have in these little pots.
I think I'm going to go ahead and repot them into the perlite,vermiculite and orchid bark mix....

o

I am not sure about orchid bark. Normally bark has the tendency to absorb lots of nitrogen - that's why the orchid fertilizer has the numbers like 30:1:1 with the heavy on N.

I would stick to AV soil, vermiculite and perlite - heavy on perlite - and if you can get some coarse perlite - even better - and i always put a half inch layer of coarse perlite on the bottom to increase the air intake.

By the way - your violets will benefit if you add some perlite to their soil too.

No - you do not need to repot just yet.

Do not forget to let the streps dry between the waterings.

Bunch of happy plants you have there

Irina

o

I grow mine in a mix of 1 part regular potting mix and 2 parts perlite. Or a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite.
I fertilize every watering with a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer.

o

Tommyr =

I wouldn't go for orchid fertilizer 30:1:1.

I use DynaGro - which is also orchid fertilizer - and it is more "balanced" one.

Do not forget - FISH EMULSION - is like a double martini for streps - they LOVE it and get seriously invigorated with it. So - spoil them with it every so often.

Irina

o

oh I have spent so much money on these plants till someone told me the secert leave them in there little solo pots till they cant stand up and he roots and coming out and then repot and ignore them, the above potting mix is good recipes for them but to keep you from loosing so many lave em alone and water when they are dry more so than a.violets this helps me and plant the strepts up on a small hill it dont like wet feet.
let me know how your doing with them
bye for now
j.bees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here