Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scurbanfarmer

Streptocarpus care question for a newbie

scurbanfarmer
13 years ago

Hello,

I am an extreme newbie to Streptocarpus. I have been gardening indoors and out for about 14 years....but, I finally decided after several years of a stalkerish kind of love for streps to give them a try. lol

I did a lot of research online before buying them, and I'd just like your advice on whether or not I'm doing a good job or not.

I purchased three plants from a seller on ebay. They are all in 2 inch pots at the moment with three leaves.

She said they were at a point to be able to be potted up.

I worried that they needed to be in a very free draining soil ( more free draining than what I had my African Violets in....so I purchased AV soil, Perlite, and Orchid bark.)

My little mix has 1 12 oz solo cup of av soil, 2 cups of perlite and 1 cup of orchid bark.

Do you think this will be a good mix? I think it feels really good, I think when the time comes that I'd like to repot my av's from their ugly pots, I'll use this mix for them as well. lol

I don't wick, i'm too much of a control freak....I bottom water all my plants...well, I mean control freak in the most loving, nurturing kind of way possible...they are my little babies! lol

Are these plants at a stage to be re-potted?

I can figure out how to add a pic if need be.

Oh, I also have these on my kitchen counter where I just installed a grow light under the cabinet for them.

The AV's seem to love it under there.

Any little tips you would be so gracious to impart upon me would be more appreciated than you would ever know!

I can't wait to see them bloom!!

Once they are big enough, I would love to be able to share them....especially with someone else in my position now....who has a love for them, but has none. lol

Annother motivation for me to get them growing healthty.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals