Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

Gesneriads in the 2013 summer border

rusty_blackhaw
10 years ago

Using gesneriads for summer bedding is increasingly my favorite method for growing these plants.

Pictured here are several Sinningias, including S. sellovii and a pale pink-flowered form of S. tubiflora. These bloom from late spring until I pull them shortly before frost, and tubers increase nicely from year to year. Cassias and Colocasia hybrids form a backdrop.
Not seen in the foreground are several clumps of Achimenes "Purple King" which are just coming into flower, and two large patches of Gloxinia "Evita" (now budding).

Comments (12)

• teisa
    10 years ago

These are just Beautiful! I love your plants. TFS!

• teisa
    10 years ago

These are just Beautiful! I love your plants. TFS!

• Patrick888
    10 years ago

Everything looks great, Eric! I have to admit that I just got my Sinn. sellovii tubers potted up. A few were sitting around in small clay pots & some of the larger were not in soil at all. As often happens when plants are made to wait or struggle thru neglect, these are likely to really take off now.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.

Wonder how my occasionally struggling African violets would do if planted in a shady border?

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

I thought that most gesneriads perferr to to be inside. This pic changed my thinking

• Patrick888
    10 years ago

And I wonder how much sun my Kohlerias could handle? I have extras of 'An's Nagging Macaws', so I think I'll try it. I'll start them off in dappled shade, then gradually move them into more sun.

Bringing plants back indoors for winter is my larger concern. I always seem to end up with unwanted visitors during the course of the winter...aphids and/or mites that hatch out & spread.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Patrick -

if you bring back the rhizomes/tubers only - you are more or less safe.

Irina

• Patrick888
    10 years ago

Very true, Irina. The downside of that...in my area...is that most tender plants that I can put outdoors in the summer are just reaching their potential by the time they have to come indoors. It's really a battle with will power to hack back a plant that has just begun to bloom and is loaded with buds. :)

One plant I love to save from year to year, which doesn't seem to harbor aphids/mites is the Dragon Wing Begonia. Of course, a Gesneriad it's not! Along about Feb. I can take several cuttings from each of those I'm overwintering next to west-facing window in a cool room. They put on a great show in my outdoor growing areas...both sun & shade.

My garage is the safe haven for my Brugmansia collection. I tend to fill up any leftover space with potted fuchsias, geraniums, cannas & other tender plants.

Back on the AV's, I don't think my outdoor climate is conducive to their requirements...my night temps usually drop into the upper 50's throughout the summer. And I'll bet slugs would love them. I would suggest that anyone who tries them outdoors might want to be sure and have some leaves in the prop box for backup!

Patrick

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Patrick
    - my suggestion - do not take AVs out - and keep a tight rein on the amount of your AVs. If you want to grow 20 - grow 20, no more, just select the ones that grow well for you - and replace the ones that didn't do well with something new to maintain the interest. You want to grow them in a narrow range of temperatures and light - so they will grow perfect. Outside - they will look sad.
    Regarding the bugs - and what you take home. Right now the systemic miticide/ pesticide Pylon is the thing that whacks everything at one spray. Need to share it with your club members - otherwise it will bankrupt you - plus the shelf life is 3 years. If mites is not our concern the rest of them can be eradicated by Merit. Both pesticides are sold on Amazon.

Irina

• Patrick888
    10 years ago

Thanks for the word on Pylon...first I've heard of it. My club has Marathon, which I used to get rid of aphids. Have you used that as well as Merit? I haven't tried Merit yet, but I'm hoping my bug problems are past.

I had AV fever when I was a teenager, so while I like them, I'm not collecting many of them. I'm saving space for Gessies that fascinate me more. I currently have a "thing" for Streps...notably the Polish, Russian & Ukranian fancy hybrids. I see some hybridizing efforts in my future.

Patrick

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Patrick

- and this will pass...and you will look at them and say - so what?...

Marathon is an additive to a soil. Merit - same active ingredient - imidacloprid - but for spraying. So - Merit works faster and it kills aphids and thrips and what not - except mites - but it is not as long lasting as Marathon which is primarily used for all kind of mealies.

Irina

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a definite winner in the subtropical border - Gloxinia "Evita":

I've had to experiment with the best spot for this plant, and so far the optimum location is one getting slightly less than half-day sun, sheltered by a tall barberry.
    The one AV I sank into the border in (mostly) light shade is doing OK, few flowers.

This post was edited by eric_oh on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 19:46

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting