Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Columnea

Posted by lal58 z5 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 14:29

Hello everyone, My name is Lori and I bought a columnea last year at a Lowe's store. I was taken by its beautiful long trailing small leaves. And I believe it has an orange flower. But that's just it. It has never flowered. It has grown beautifully in my sky-lighted hallway which has direct sun part of the day and is very warm and humid. It has been over a year since I've purchased it. I have not changed the soil hoping to make it pot bound to encourage blooming. (It is the only thing that I haven't done.) I have used Peter's 20's food for houseplants. Can anyone help me to get it to bloom? Or otherwise provide me with info on how to take care of it better?
Thanks
Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Columnea

Lori -

try to cool it down. It is hard to find a cold spot right now - but later when the heat will subside - you can even leave it ouside for the nights.

I think it is a seasonal memory for it - in their natural habitat they bloom after the cold period. We have a lady in our club who takes them to the unheated basement, chills them at 50-60F - and they all come to bloom.

Good luck

Irina

PS Aeschynanthus - lipstick vine - is similar in habit to columnea - and I think it will appreciate your bathroom heat and humidity better - and bloom its head off - and your columnea can be happier on the east window.

o

Wow! I didn't think of that! Thanks so much! I live in a brownstone on the top floor in Bklyn, NY. The hallway landing is usually the coldest in the winter and warmest in the summer of the all the landings in the building. But I am going to try putting it outdoors this late summer/early fall-- (on my fire escape)-- Thanks again!

o

Lori -

if you will find a cooler spot at home - it would be better - less chances for picking the bugs.

Some columneas bloom almost all the time - and some - are seasonal bloomers - so - do not despair.

Irina

o

thank you Irina-will do

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here