Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Oozing Nematanthus

korina
17 years ago

I did a search of the forum, and I seem to have something at least interesting. I have noticed that my N. wetsteinii is oozing little droplets of sap (and dripping onto an AV). Is this from overwatering? 'Cause I let it dry out a bit between waterings.

Stickily yours,

Korina

Comments (5)

• robitaillenancy1
    17 years ago

Condensation, Korina.

Nancy

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

*Condensation*?? No, it's sap; it's sticky, and oozing from the backs of the leaves. And I don't see any aphids or scale, so it's not that.

Korina

• jon_d
    17 years ago

I've never seen such a thing. I thought immediately of scale; but you say no. So, I have absolutely no idea what is going on. Are you sure there aren't tiny baby scale. Have ants been on the plant lately? Those questions, I guess, are obvious. So, my suggestion is move the plant outside to some bright shade. They really like to be outside in California summers.

Jon, getting ready for the gesneriad covention.

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Jon; I'd love to put it out in bright shade. Know where I could find some? I have everything at work, and it's either inside with not enough light, or outside with no shade and intense noon sun. Well, when there *is* sun. Which is sometimes. Hey, we're supposed to get into the 60s today!

Korina, oozing sarcasm...

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Never mind. I took a closer look and discovered scale; it's the exact same color as the stems.

Korina, oozing irritation and annoyance...

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler