Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angeleyedcat

Streptocarpus - Crown Rot? Pictures

angeleyedcat
13 years ago

I was given this small seedling at a show in April of this year, Streptocarpus Ronduls Dark Lace x Fernwood mini. I have never grown Streps before but do successfully grow AV's. I originally had it growing in a 3 oz solo cup cut in half and wick watered (2 ply yarn - 2 parts AV soil mixed with 3 parts perlite, ) for the first 2 months, in June it was put into a 3 oz solo cup being wick watered the same way.

I have 2 other strep seedings given to me at the same show in April, both are in 3 oz solo cups, wicked and are now blooming. They are normal and have been treated the same way as this one.

They are all under 2 shop lights (4 bulbs) for 13 hours a day. For a month now the center leaves look odd - is it crown rot? Was it planted too deep at one time? Too much light? It's been hot in the room since June, high 80's day then nights low 70's. I do have a fan running that is aimed near but not on the plants under the lights. What should I do?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Comments (4)

• User
    13 years ago

The plant's crown is above the soil line which is good. It appears by looking at the plant that it maybe overwatering. Small plants are more vulnerable to it. This what I believe it is.

It could be from being too close to the lights but I doubt it. I have had similar symptoms with a few streps that for whatever reason I retained water longer than my other plants. Once I trimmed the plant, cut the rot
    off and repotted the plant that cured the problem.

I don't grow under lights so I can't be 100% sure but this does not seem to me burning.

Dave

• angeleyedcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't really think it's burning either since the other streps haven't been bothered by the lights. I'm also growing a few sinningia seedlings under it, all seem happy except this guy.

I just checked the plant closely - The soil is quite compacted right against this plant, possibly that helped hold more water than needed. would it be good to wash as much soil off this plant as possible? The other streps are in the same soil mix (2 parts AV soil mixed with 3 parts perlite) but it didn't compact at all. I also use it for my AV's and it doesn't compact. Interesting. Wonder why. Trimming the plant - does that mean making the large leaf smaller? Or should I do something with the crown other than remove what's rotted? New to streps here :)

Thanks so much for all help, very appreciated!

• irina_co
    13 years ago

AC -

it is too wet and it is a combination of compacted soil and wicking.

If you repot it in a slightly larger pot, put a layer of coarse perlite on a bottom to promote root breathing, fluff the root ball and plant it on the top of your soil - Dave also commented on it - it should be a king of the hill method - it will recover just right.

In my experience they do better with bottom watering than on wicks. They especially do not like a combination of wick and mat - they need more air to the bottom and they need to dry between waterings.

It all comes from the habitat their ancestors came from - hills of the South Africa - they are from a drier climate
    and they experience periods without rain.

Good Luck

Irina

• angeleyedcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excellent, will do, thanks so much Dave and Irina :)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia