Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus Problem.

Posted by SusanJNY none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 16:38

I ordered this Cape Violet from Logee's earlier this year. It arrived with these yellow markings that have now worsened, and spread to others that I have had for years. I have not changed anything with my others (fertilizer, humidity, light). Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus Problem.

Susan, from what you are describing it sounds like it maybe a virus. Do you sterilize your tools each time between plants? Another culprit could be bugs that have fed on the infected plant and now are spreading to others.

I have had some degree of yellow mottled leaves from time to time but it was not widespread. In my case it was a cultural issue as only one leaf would show a small area of mottling.

My guess is you have a virus. Maybe Irina will be able to identify this better. She is usually responding to questions and I trust and value her opinion.

Dave

o

Dave - thanks for kind words - I was out of commission for some time - medical issues - but I am OK now.

Susan - chuck all. Basically you need to get rid of ALL plants in a house.

Streps take the INSV (I think it is it, but can be mosaic virus as well - I am not that familiar with the subtle difference) - better than AVs, AVs get really distorted blossoms and leaves - but there is no cure. The most probable vector (carrier) for them is thrips - and now they are saying can be white flies, probably aphids - but if you use scissors to trim the leaves - it will work too - you need to dip them in an alcohol between the plants.

Next time - no matter if you dreamed about this variety for 25 years - if you see the mottling on the leaves - bag it and send it to the trash.

You can save the most valuable pots if you soak them in a really strong Clorax solution for several days. All tools should go through the rubbing alcohol.

Keep on the top of the thrips - one susupicious plant - and thrips will pass to everything in a house. So - that's why - suspicious plants do not belong - do not try to baby them back.

Been there done that in 2006. Bags and bags of disposed plants...

Irina

o

Thanks for the picture and the how-to-handle info. This is just like rose rosette disease. farmerann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here