Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting strep leaves, need advice

Posted by JessJesting 6a (NE Ohio) (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 16:52

I have a strep leaf I've been trying to propagate. I cut it into sections and have it in a pot in a plastic bag to create a mini greenhouse effect. I've always had great luck doing this with AV leaves. Some of the leaves are turning black around the edges. Is it being kept too moist? I only watered it once when they were initial planted. What can I do to save them? This is my first one and first try so forgive my newbie questions. I've always wanted one of these. I'll be sad if they don't make it. This is my only leaf and I can't get another. =( any advice/help appreciated! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting strep leaves, need advice

First, if there is enough leaf left I would cut the black off. Cut just a little more so to be sure to get all the rot. After you have done this dust the cut with cinnamon. Cinnamon helps seal the leaf and acts as a fungicide.

Leaves only need to be in a slightly moist medium to root especially in a bag. If the soil is wet open the bag for a day or two to allow the soil to dry slightly. Then seal the bag and watering as needed.

Dave

o

One more bit of advice. Since you have started AV's before this way I am sure you know, do not put your bag in any direct light. Also you may want to punch two small holes at the top of the bag to allow air exchange. I use a Phillips screwdriver and has worked well for me.

Dave

o

Thank you I will do that ASAP. I cut the sections a little big so It should be ok after I cut them. I have them on my kitchen windowsill which is under an awning so it gets bright but not indirect light. I open the bags for about an hour a day perhaps I should just do holes like you suggested. Thanks again. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here