Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappyguy

Growing Episcias for Show

snappyguy
13 years ago

Can anyone point me in the right direction or to a site that explains how to grow an episcia for show? I'm used to african violets, but have no clue when it comes to episcias. They grow amazingly well for me. Do they need to be symmetrical, in bloom, can you root stolons in the same pot for a fuller look, are they allowed to have more than one crown? Any help would be great.

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Snappy =

the good part about other gesneriads - you do not need to have only one plant. You can grow a single plant and you can grow several cuttings together. You show them in 3 possible classes - episcias in bloom and ornamental foliage only and variegated episcias are going into a separate class - these guys are usually shown covered.

The requirements are basically the same - it should be a healthy well grown full good shape plant without gaps - and if you want to show it blooming - you want to have all crowns blooming if it is a multicrown plant.

In my opinion it is easier to grow a nice specimen out of let's say 5 cuttings. You need to keep removing blooms and baby stolons so the main stems will be growing strong. You can let them go just before the Show so you can create a fuller appearance. Stolons that are so long that are trailing behind your car when you take your plant to the Show usually look ratty.

Irina

• snappyguy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Irina! Here is my "Silver Skies" episcia. It's a little sparse on the right side I think, but it is another 6 months or so until the show, so I think with some training it'll be fit to go. It's my first show and I'm excited to enter. It'll boost the clubs' number of entrants, but I also want to know I did the best I could with my plant. When I bought it at the Show and Sale I didn't even know what it was, but it was a favorite right away.

• AndrewH
    13 years ago

Beautiful episcia, even if it is a bit lopsided. :)

The Violet Barn has two good articles, complete with pictures, on how to groom episcias for show and how to repot them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vioet Barn pictorial lessons

• snappyguy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the links. I'll try rooting stolons around my episcias to give them a fuller appearance. Silver Skies has only ever produced one stolon, but hopefully that is enough to help fill in the gap in it.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Hear, hear -

healthy start for the Show. If you want it to grow faster - cover it with a dome, feed with fish emulsion and turn every so often. They usually grow like weeds they are.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Skies

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

If you have a large episcia you can take about 5 stolons and place them in a 12 inch saucer with small rocks for drainage and soil. Place them all over the saucer and water in. Humidity helps plants, flowers and stolons. Keep all stolons and flowers pinched off for about 4 months. When it is about 2 months before show, allow flowers to come in but continue pinching off stolons.

This makes a very attractive display.

Nancy