Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artificial light for Sinningia pusilla??

Posted by corwinletrey z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 04 at 22:36

Hello everyone,
I just discovered my first Mini Sinningia. I purchased two White Sprites at a local African Violet Society booth, then read everything I could find about them on the web. I planted them in a small Wardian case and put them on a table in the good light of my living room near my African Violets. Thus far they seem quite content.
My question is this. I would like to aquire some more Minis. I have a couple more Terrariums and would like to order some different types from "Dave's Violets". However I live in a pretty small space. The only places left to put them do not recieve good natural light. Florescent light fixtures would be *horribly* out of place in my appartment.
I do however have lamps on the end tables that I am considering form them, and wondered if grow bulbs in those would be sufficient? If so what wattage? Any suggestions or words fo wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artificial light for Sinningia pusilla??

There are quite a few items on the market that are labeled 'grow bulbs'. Some are as close to useless as it's possible to be. Some are excellent. Most have their strengths and weaknesses. What would probably be best in your lamps would be fluorescent bulbs, the ones that look like regular bulbs but don't put out the heat and have much stronger light. They would give you better light for your minis and would have the added advantage of being something that you can leave on for long periods of time. Their initial price is higher but they last MUCH longer and use a lot less electricity, so they have advantages for the environment and your wallet as well. You can get the plants quite close to the light without risk of burning them. Sinns. prefer a little more light, or a longer day-length, than your AVs.

o
RE: Artificial light for Sinningia pusilla??

Hi Corwin,

The Violet Showcase has something called the intelligent plant light that is pretty much for one plant. It may be just the thing for your sinningia white sprites. I have put the catalog address down at the bottom. Scroll down about three pages and there is a picture of it. They are a little pricey, but they may just do the trick for you.

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: The Violet Showcase

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here