Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisequebec

gloxinia propagation

Louisequebec
18 years ago

Could anyone tell me how to propagate by leaves. I just found out they are the same family as generiad. Would the same procedure apply

Comments (10)

• jon_d
    18 years ago

There is a great deal of information on the net on propagating the Florist Gloxinia, which is Sinningia speciosa. There is a specific forum on gloxinias on the web site of the Gesneriad Society at www.aggs.org . However, I won't send you off to do research. Basically the method is the same as for other gesneriads which grow from leaves. A fresh leaf will root best in good light, high humidity, and in an airy mix. I use equal parts perlite and vermiculite, using a small pot such as a 3" square. I pot up the leaves and enclose the pot and leaves in a ziplock bag. I put this on my fluorescent light stand. Gloxinia leaves root easily, producing first a tuber and then a shoot that can be grown to flower. Gloxinias also root from tip cuttings and even from the spent flower stems with the calyx still attached. It is also easy to grow them from seed, which can be produced by self pollinating a plant.

Jon

• smithjm
    18 years ago

Can you root the cuttings in water?

• jon_d
    18 years ago

I've never tried that. I find it so easy to root in my propagation mix of perlite and vermiculite enclosed in a baggie. But, I don't see why you couldn't try this to see what happens. Then let us know. Be sure to give the rooting cuttings good light. I think you could try leaves if you don't want to sacrifice a cutting for this experiment. In general, gesneriads that do root in water, do so more reliably in summer than at other times of the year.

Jon

• phalnellie
    18 years ago

Yes, you can root in water. And it's amazing to see little leaflets develop under water.

• smithjm
    18 years ago

I'll try rooting mine in water. I'll let you guys know if I was succesful or not...here's a pic of my little beuty, it recentley got 2 new blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/357680679/434171911jDZavU#

• craftbug
    18 years ago

That's a gorgeous color that I never knew existed! Long ago I had a red with white trim. Would love a leaf of your little beauty.. :)

• smithjm
    18 years ago

thanks for the compliment craftbug. I tried rooting in water but the stems got mushy. The plant just died, the leaves got brown, i checked the bulb and it has many roots and looks healthy. I read that when the plant dies i should stop watering let the soil dry and and store the pot in a cool dark place. When I see new growth start watering and give more light. Is this correct? i don't want to loose this plant!

• jegcyano
    14 years ago

I have grown gloxinias from leaves and stem cuttings and even from spent flower stems. My question relates to a plant that is ~4 years old and is starting to grow making way too many shoots. I will use all the extra shoots for cuttings, but i am wondering how many shoots should be left on for best blooming, and secondly which shoots should be trimmed, the largest ones or the smaller ones? Also some shoots have pairs of leaves while others come in threes.

• mycountryrose_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I'm a BIG Gloxinia lover,I start them from leaves all the time,What i don't know is how or what do you do to get variegated or double blossoms?Also what are spent flower stems never heard of them?