Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gloxinia propagation

Posted by Louisequebec z4 quebec canad (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 11:39

Could anyone tell me how to propagate by leaves. I just found out they are the same family as generiad. Would the same procedure apply

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gloxinia propagation

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 14:17

There is a great deal of information on the net on propagating the Florist Gloxinia, which is Sinningia speciosa. There is a specific forum on gloxinias on the web site of the Gesneriad Society at www.aggs.org . However, I won't send you off to do research. Basically the method is the same as for other gesneriads which grow from leaves. A fresh leaf will root best in good light, high humidity, and in an airy mix. I use equal parts perlite and vermiculite, using a small pot such as a 3" square. I pot up the leaves and enclose the pot and leaves in a ziplock bag. I put this on my fluorescent light stand. Gloxinia leaves root easily, producing first a tuber and then a shoot that can be grown to flower. Gloxinias also root from tip cuttings and even from the spent flower stems with the calyx still attached. It is also easy to grow them from seed, which can be produced by self pollinating a plant.

Jon

o

Can you root the cuttings in water?

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 14:56

I've never tried that. I find it so easy to root in my propagation mix of perlite and vermiculite enclosed in a baggie. But, I don't see why you couldn't try this to see what happens. Then let us know. Be sure to give the rooting cuttings good light. I think you could try leaves if you don't want to sacrifice a cutting for this experiment. In general, gesneriads that do root in water, do so more reliably in summer than at other times of the year.

Jon

o

Yes, you can root in water. And it's amazing to see little leaflets develop under water.

o

I'll try rooting mine in water. I'll let you guys know if I was succesful or not...here's a pic of my little beuty, it recentley got 2 new blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/357680679/434171911jDZavU#

o

That's a gorgeous color that I never knew existed! Long ago I had a red with white trim. Would love a leaf of your little beauty.. :)

o

thanks for the compliment craftbug. I tried rooting in water but the stems got mushy. The plant just died, the leaves got brown, i checked the bulb and it has many roots and looks healthy. I read that when the plant dies i should stop watering let the soil dry and and store the pot in a cool dark place. When I see new growth start watering and give more light. Is this correct? i don't want to loose this plant!

o

its been two weeks since i cut the stem of my gloxinia and put it in a jar of water. i left it outside and it gets partial sun for about 2-4 hours everyday. for the past two days, small roots are starting to sprout. they're really tiny but theres quite a few of them. i really didnt think that it would work but it did. :) it just takes time..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://pokok.gejala.org

o
Gloxinia: Too many shoots

I have grown gloxinias from leaves and stem cuttings and even from spent flower stems. My question relates to a plant that is ~4 years old and is starting to grow making way too many shoots. I will use all the extra shoots for cuttings, but i am wondering how many shoots should be left on for best blooming, and secondly which shoots should be trimmed, the largest ones or the smaller ones? Also some shoots have pairs of leaves while others come in threes.

o

I'm a BIG Gloxinia lover,I start them from leaves all the time,What i don't know is how or what do you do to get variegated or double blossoms?Also what are spent flower stems never heard of them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here