Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Chirita newbie frustration

korina
19 years ago

Okay, so thanks to Kathleen, I have my SEVEN Chirita tamianas repotted, and they're even starting to bloom.

HOW THE HECK DO I GET THE DIRT OFF THE LEAVES???

I've tried brushing them, I've tried wiping them, nothing works. It's like the little buggers are lined with flypaper. Hey, are these things carniverous?

Korina (having a Wednesday)

Comments (9)

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hi Korina,

I don't know what you are using to brush your tamiana, but I use a one inch wide clean paint brush that I only use for plants. It works very well with my African violets and equally as well with my chirita tamiana. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Larry

• korina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I tried again, with more success. Evidently it just takes more patience and persistence.

Korina

• mkjones
    19 years ago

Oh, you are TOO funny, Korina! =) Seven, you say? Ok, I give......I'll have to try rooting the leaves too! I do like those Tamiana blooms...kinda simple, yet delicately pretty. =)

I have a violet w/leaves like your chiritas'; no matter HOW hard I try, the stuff sticks like glue.....:/

Kathleen in TX

• korina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yeppers, Kathleen, there was an extra little seedling in one of the plants. You know, you did say they were 'seedlings'. Well, they arrived with flower stalks (kinda freaky-looking), and even though I removed the soil by washing it off, one is blooming and more are close behind. Now I have to find homes for them -- gotta get in contact with the AV club.

By the way, how big to these guys get? 'Miniature' covers a lot of ground.

Korina

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

Chirita Tamiana doesn't get that large; about the size of a semi miniature.

Try a warm shower holding the plant with both hands!

Nancy

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hi Korina,

I would reconsider giving all of your tamianas away. I have had more than one person suggest that putting several tamiana in a wide shallow pot is very attractive. I have some tamiana seedlings and I plan to do that with them.

Larry

• korina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

As big as a semi-mini? (gulp) So, I'll just have to make more room. Somehow. I already have two trailers that I later discovered are *semi*-minis -- Rob's Galiwinku and Rob's Wagga Wagga (*some*body watches too much of 'The Muppet Show'). They're cute, but I don't quite know where I'm going to put them when they get bigger. Oy.

Oh, and for the record, it wasn't Kathleen who sent me the tamianas, it was Ki. Sorry Ki! I had a brain burp; it's my only excuse.

Larry, sounds nifty. If I had the room...

Korina

• komi
    19 years ago

lol Korina - I shipped so many tamianas out this year, i didn't even try to keep track of who I sent them to. The plan was that 3 would get squished in the mail, remember?

(muppet show - is that where those names are from? lol)

--Ki.

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Korina,

I would not describe tamiana to be as large as a semi mini. I would call it more of a mini(not micro mini) that has a little hight to it. I have had one for almost a year and it is no where close to being as large as a semi miniature violet.

Larry