Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
episcia

Posted by frankiemygirl z5IN (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 04 at 12:47

hello this is my first time posting a message so if i do it wrong please bear with me. ive been looking for a chocolate soldier and in the process ive gotten interested in episcia and would like to start growing them. does anyone know of a nursery in indiana preferably close to indianapolis that carries them? every one i look up is more into outdoor hoping someone out there is from indy! thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. look forward to viewing more of this site thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: episcia

Hello,

Welcome to the forum! You are going to have a tough time finding episcias at a regular greenhouse. You will probably have to locate a store that specializes in African Violet's or gesnariads. I would suggest that you consider ordering episcias through mail order. Below are a couple of web sites that sell episcias.

I hope this helps.

Larry

Robs Violets

http://www.robsviolet.com/episcia.htm

Pats pets

http://www.jcn1.com/patspets/EPISCIA.HTM

o

One thing to keep in mind when looking for a chocolate soldier is; often when a regular nursery has episcias they call them all chocolate soldiers as if the names episcia and chocolate soldier are interchangeable. If you really want to know the names of your episcias perhaps it is better to order from a reputable place such as those mentioned.

Sherri

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 8, 04 at 16:30

Lyndon Lyons Greenhouses grows beautiful starter plants of everything, including episcias. They are mailorder and located in NY state. The old 'Choc. Soldier' was a variety with a brown leaf and a simple silver midrib pattern. But as noted above is a name used for any episcia--esp. brown and silver types like Acajou.

Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here