Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andersandy

Streptocarpus questions

andersandy
18 years ago

My friend and I have been bitten badly by the streptocarpus bug! I used to grow AV's long ago - even became a judge for awhile. Now it's the streps that have me.

Questions: Is there any resource that would list characteristics of the various named hybrids? For instance, a plant whose leaves want to curl - it could be a characteristic or something attacking it or the wrong growing conditions for it. I have the Dibley book, and have been buying starter plants from various sources. Now, many are large and beginning to bloom. I'm seeing their characteristics individually. The descriptions of the plants (like the wonderful online resource with pictures) are just the positive things - the selling points!

#2: If you have a collection of plants, is there something you routinely do to protect them from various diseases? I remember doing that for my violets - mixing stuff in the soil as i recall. If you are giving away or selling plants, you don't want to give a 'bonus' with them. What do growers use?

That's enough for this posting. I've been following the posts on streps the last couple months and am amazed at the knowledge out there!!

By the way, if there ISN'T any source of info on strep plant characteristics, maybe we should MAKE one. I'm an ex-database designer - it would fit well. We'd just need everyone with experience on various hybrids to send their info! Sandy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!