Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Episcias

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Howdy..

Does anyone know of an Episcia site or offer care of Episcias? I'd really apprecaite it.

I received 5 Episcias in the mail today. Green Lady, Great Lady, Blue Heaven, Flame Violet and Lace Flower Vine, which I think is an Episcia..?? If you need the botanical names, I can go to the site where they were purchased and copy them down.

One more thing. Why is it impossible finding pink leaf Episicas? Like Ember Lace or Cleopatra? They're gorgeous.

My plant books have very little, and generic information on Episcia care..Thanks in advance..Toni

Comments (44)

• irina_co
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Toni - hi -where did you get them?

Lyndonlyon.com carries EmberLace for sure, violetbarn.com - they have varieagated episcias.

Still at work

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Irina..
    I shop at a place called www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com
    Have been for years..
    When I ordered AV's from Violet Barn, Lyndon's, Brennans, and Violet Gallery I asked if they had the Ember Lace. They were out, at the time..Some don't sell Episcias.

Girl, don't you ever sleep? LOL..I hope you're home relaxing today..Toni

• mlevie
    15 years ago

You know, it's funny...you hear all sorts of different things about how to care for episcias. One constant is that they prefer higher humidity levels, so a humidity tray is helpful. The variegated ones require such high humidity that you have to keep them in a terrarium. (I have one of those that I just got from Rob's Violet Barn, they have several.)

If you keep them in lower light, you get fewer (or no) flowers, but better leaf color, and vice versa. Many people just never get any flowers at all, but then, who keeps episcia for the flowers?

I've seen a certain amount of controversy about how moist they like their soil. As someone who's killed one by overwatering but never by underwatering, I say "not too wet."

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Evie..thanks..LOL..
    I too have heard pink Episcias need more humidity. One woman I talk to keeps her pink ang green Episcia in a glass cookie jar. So far so good, plus it's bloomed..Don't know which type she has.

I'd love buying pink, but most nurseries charge 12.50 and up for shipping..It wouldn't be bad if I was going to order more than one plant, but to pay 10.00 plus 12.50 for a plant that will probably die, well, I just dont think hubby would appreciate it..LOL.
    I wish they had them in when I ordered AV's, it'd have balanced out..

What type of soil is best. Well draining?
    What about fertilizers? All purpose or flowering? Do they need acidic, neutral or alkaline soils? I'd really like to keep these guys going..they're so pretty.
    Flowers would be great, but I'd be happy keeping the leaves alive..LOL

Hmm, trying to decide which is more important...better leaf color or flowers? What a dilemma...I guess I'd have to say leaves.
    If leaves are splashed, will water mar foliage? There's too many questions, and of all plants, there's little info about Episcias..Is it possible because they're difficult to keep, little information is written in plant books?
    Episcias aren't even sold here..I haven't seen one in years. When Home Depot first opened they sold them..it's been at least 4 yrs since seeing one.
    There's just too many questions. Sorry..But thanks so much for replying..Toni

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Toni -

the most capricious are variegated episcias, they need to be covered. You can keep them on a dry side, but the air should be humid. That's correct - you can kill them if you overwater them. You can use same soil as for violets, same fertilizer, fish emulsion is good too. They like nitrogen.

Some of them are good with their flowers - and some - the colors clash, Bethlehem Star has chimera flowers and dark so-so foliage.

Good luck

irina

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Toni,

You keep asking great questions. I've been thinking of getting some Episcias too, so you peaked my curiosity. I googled Episcia Culture and there is a very good article over on The Violet Voice. Didn't you join that sight? Anyway, I won't be getting any. They require more care than I want to spend on them. Hope you have good luck with yours.

cyberdancer

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Cyberdancer..
    Thanks..That's the problem, questions pop up in my mind, and I haven't any books that go into detail.
    My new Episcias are in the sink..Tonight they're going to be repotted in round pots. I'm still trying to figure out if they prefer being potbound or need room.
    August isn't the best time to repot, but I don't like square pots. I'm sorry I didn't order 4" pots from the place you recommended..bought smaller sizes for violets.

Yep, I joined Violet Voice but haven't had time to go there..the day I signed up, there was tons of info on violets..I'll spend more time there once fall/winter comes.
    Even though this isn't the right time, the last few days I've been repotting plants..tonight it's the Jade. Last night 2 huge Geraniums. Night before, 3 Pachypodiums, Prickly Pear and a few Mother of Thousands.

Cyberdancer, if you want to buy fairly inexpensive Episcias, (as a trial) Accents charges 5.99 each. Last year his plants were 4.99 but like other nurseries prices increased.
    Depending where you live, some Home Depots and probably Lowes sell Episcias in small 2-3" pots.

I'm going to give them a try..if they live, who knows, maybe I'll invest in more next spring. If not, I give up. Even at 5,99, it adds up.
    The same applies to the pink, (which I'd love having.) If these guys survive, next spring I'll look for Ember Lace and Cleopatra.
    A friend has one pink..it's grown in a glass cookie jar. LOL. I should phone her and ask how it's doing.

Did you decide what to do about ridding WF on your hibs? I hope you try the sticky traps..
    If you decide to try Episcias let me know..Oh I'll post pics of Episcias bought at Accents so it'll help you decide..LOL..Toni

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

OK Toni!

I don't need more temptation! LOL Thank's alot! Those are really nice big healthy plants you got. No, if I decide to get any it won't be till spring. I really don't think so though.

I'm just letting Mother Nature take care of the WF.

Hope you google Episcia Culture, there was some other good info. Robs Violets should have some too.

cyberdancer

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOLOL Cyberdancer. I'm not trying to temp you, well, not exactly..LOL
    I'll google Episcia Culture after dinner..I'm also looking for a site someone posted; it might be on the other forum. Hmm.
    Mother Nature's going to take care of your WF's? Good luck..(S) Seriously, I hope they die off. When you shake a branch, do they fly around?

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cyberdancer, thanks for recommending Episcia Culture on Google..
    I spent a little over an hour reading information about these beautiful, little plants.
    They had quite a bit of info, but I'm still confused about fertilizing..lol
    Most of the sites said, feed 1/4 teas per gallon of water..But they didn't mention how often they should be fertilized.

I also Googled 2 other Episcias: Green Lady and Great Lady..Green Lady's only info took me to Amazon where this particular Episcia is sold..Other than that nada..and no info on Great Lady. Meanwhile, I'm unsure which two 'species?' the two Lady's are in?

After researching their care, I'm not so sure I should have purchased them..LOL. They are probably very difficult plants to grow in an average house. They require quite a bit of humidity, not to mention fans which I wholeheartedly agree with.

If anyone knows or grows Green and Great Lady please fill me in on their care and type..Thanks, Toni

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Hi Toni

Well, I'm glad you checked the sights. After doing some reading I decided those plants weren't for me. I'm sure you'll do just fine with them. You are pretty good at growing difficult plants. It seems like keeping them in a fish bowl or tank is the way to go. Don't get discouraged!

Have you gotten your AV Magazine yet? If not, you should get it around the first week of Sept.

cyberdancer

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy Cyberdancer,
    Several years ago I bought a mini green house at KMart..it's on a stand. I'm thinking about placing Episcias inside come late autumn.
    I can't recall how it worked with humidity..the thing is, after reading Episcia Culture, people who grow them relate the importance of running a fan. (Fresh Air)
    So, what do I do??? I even concidered buying those little fans sold at Walgreen's. It might run on a battery, not sure.

No, AV Mag yet..can't wait till it comes in. Toni

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

Many Episcia are hardy and easy to grow. Most of mine grow in a pot on a shelf with the violets, mostly getting natural light. The ones that bloom another color other than the red or orange or red-orange, are a little more tricky to get to bloom. The varigated pink/cream/green leaf plants are the most difficult for me. I've tried them a few times and lost all but the last one I bought. Don't purchase them thru the mail when it is too cold or too hot, they really don't like extreme temps. It's a Canadian Clone of Cleopatra (spelling, sorry) and supposed to be more hardy. I've kept it alive and healthy since March, so this one has a good chance....I'm really happy about it! It's about ready to bloom, I bought it for the leaf color, not the bloom, I'd really rather have some stolens! Rob's has good pics and info on growing episcia because they will get scraggly, it's their nature. One day it looks all nice and full and the next thing you know it needs major grooming. My friend calls them house weeds. take care. tish

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

I agree with the comment that most are pretty easy--grow with your AVs and enjoy. They do tend to prefer a little more light--I grow on light stands and grow other gessies too, and leave the lights on a couple hours longer than folks tend to recommend for AVs. Your 'lace vine' is Alsobia, which was considered an episcia when I first grew it, but will take cooler temperatures. Really a lovely plant with neat lacy flowers. To show what kind of weather we have here, I grow the terrarium types as ground covers outside, and they are gorgeous--never that nice in the house (tho' to be fair I've had some nice ones on occasion.) Don't know either of the 'ladies' you mention, but I'd second (or third!) the suggestion you look at Rob's site for pictures and culture information. They're very helpful. Other places too--much more information out there than about some gessies.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Tish...which Episcia/s do you have? Plus pink/green? Cleopatra/Ember Lace?
    In your opinion, is it pinks that are finicky?
    While searching Episcia Culture, there was a pic of Ember Lace growing in a fish bowl.
    Which is a Canadian clone of Cleopatra?
    If/when I decide to order both Episcias, I'll wait until temps are in the 70's, both day and night. It's still too hot here to be confined to boxes, especially if they're as delicate as stated. Sept, (might) be a good time, but spring would probably be best..For one thing, in mid-spring, temps and humidity increase. (Especially in our house..LOL)
    In autumn, they're shipped from a warm, humid environment. By November when heat is turned on, air is dry. So, even though I'd love ordering both Episcias this second, lol, receiving in spring would be the logical thing to do. The problem is, once spring comes, Episcias like EL and Cleo are probably sold as soon as they're posted.
    I'll see how the Episcias do..if they overwinter without too much fuss, EL and Cleo be the first plants bought in the new year,of '09.
    Tish, since yours are budding, does this mean they're getting less sunlight? Toni

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Green. Thanks. Doesn't 'easy to grow mean different things for different people?' LOL
    Years ago, I killed and re-killed, the easy-to-grow Pothos.
    After reseaching the net and talking to people who grow them, I think hardiness depends on the person and type of Episcia. Apparently, variegated Episcias are sensitive and stubborn.
    You are sooo lucky living in LA. Growing Episcias outdoors, in the ground. Imagine that!! I'm assumnig you leave them out year round? What about rain? What kind of soil are they in?
    I visited Rob's last night, found some information, but nothing different than other sites..Perhaps I looked in the wrong page. I'll have to recheck. Thanks, Toni

• GrowHappy
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

I have several episicias from Lyons and Gary's out of Africa. I received them prolly about 7 or 8 weeks ago. I'm growing all of them under lights, about 12 inches from the tubes. I use a mix of equal parts MG Orchid Mix, Perlite and Vermiculite. It works very well. However, I'm growing 'Ember Lace' in a covered glass dish and am using just Perlite and Vermiculite. This is after trying to use regular soil, Per. and Verm. and getting green yuck on top. I just switched over a few days ago, though. So far so good.

Some of your episcias may be misnamed from the vendor since they don't specialize in gessies. I think this part. vendor has also misnamed a few Hoyas on their website.:))) As long as the plants are healthy and robust, which they are, you may not care. LOL

I'm going to call you tonight. I go back to work tomorrow after a 2 week vacation. DD started school today and I go to the doctors for a steroid injection in the scar on my neck. Funzies.

P.S. Cyberdancer- Did I ever tell you that I found the Schlum with your name? It even bloomed a little this summer. Such a pretty pink! I'm excited about the possibilities this Fall.

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

growhappy

Hey, Haven't seen you around in a while! No, didn't know you found the Schlum., but I'm glad you did. You're so lucky they bloom off season for you. Look forward to you posting lots of blooms this Fall.

cyberdancer

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GROWHAPPY!!! Hey, it's great seeing you..I miss you, miss your posts..Hope you're here to stay.
    So you're saying my Episcias are misnamed? Actually, even if they're in perfect condition, it'd be nice knowing their names. You know?
    Which Hoyas does he sell that are mislabeled? Sheesh. Most of my Hoyas were bought from him..
    Googled Episcias, all came up..the Ladies had little information..What does it mean? Are they rare, or so common nobody bothers to write info? LOL
    So, you still have Ember Lace? That's fanastic..guess if/when I get one, it's going in a terrarium. Do you remember which nursery you got yours? What was its size upon arrival?
    You HAD to bring it up..Now I feel like making some calls, ordering not one, but two..the EL and Cleopatra..LOL
    I'd have to browse each site to see who sells both. I don't want to order one without the other..shipping costs, ya know?

What time do you plan on calling? After dinner, I'm going out in the yard to repot my Jade..wrong time of year, I know, but the poor thing is so rootbound, when it's watered, the water runs right through.

Is there a Schlum called Cyberdancer??? That's interesting. Yep, Schlums been growing strange..blooming in mid-July??? What's that about? It's not like we had cold nights..they just decided to bloom.

Growhappy, I really hope you're back..It's great seeing you again..after what, a year??? Take care of yourself.

How are you, Cyberdancer? I hope all is well..Any luck ridding the WF? Toni

• GrowHappy
    15 years ago

Hey, I was asleep when you called me back last night! I'm telling you, as I get older, the bed-time is earlier and earlier! LOL!
    I will call you tonight.

I ordered my EL from Lyons. It was a good-sized plant and was blooming too. A few of the leaves were HUGE.

The indonesian Hoya comes to mind when speaking abt. the names of their Hoyas. I chat periodically with a Hoya expert on Davesgarden and she has NEVER heard of two of the ones they have listed on their website. It's hard to identify Hoyas without a bloom. Would be great if they had pictures of their Hoyas. One of them that is described actually sounds like Lacunosa. Anyway, gotta run.

Hugs,
    Shanika

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Growhappy..I'm sorry for calling so late..I looked at the clock, my time..
    I worked outside till dark..LOL. Planted 3 hardy Mums, and watered a few other plants..
    My Brugmasnia is blooming, but that poor plant needs a bigger pot..it's been in the same pot at least 5 yrs. lol

I called a few nurseries to see if they had both Episcias in stock..two were closed for the day, the other didn't sell Episcias..maybe I wasn't meant to care for them.

I'd have to check Accents to see which is the Indonesian. I hope it's not one I have..LOL. Wait, are you saying there's no such thing as Indonesian Hoya??? Really..now that is fascinating..LOL I've seen it sold as H. lacunosa on other sites..Is that a different plant? You know how common names are? 50 spider plants, etc..

I'm going to phone and see if you're home..Hope you're not sleeping..Just got in the house..Toni

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

Hi again, Toni--sorry to be so long getting back!
    No, I can't grow episcias outside all year--I hate to do it, but I take cuttings starting about now and bring them in, and if I can give the rest away I do, but often they just have to dwindle away. In the fall I find they can take lower night temps than they can in the house, so I have time to find homes for most. We start getting lows down in the sixties I guess in October--I should keep a journal, but things happen whether I write them down or not. I think I put them out in about April. It is very warm and humid here for a very long time. I moved here from Nebraska, and Nebraska is great in many ways, but cold doesn't do anything for my aging joints. And I can grow so many things outside here that are houseplants there, many of them all year around. I love it!
    I should add, the experts say you should start new plants from cuttings fairly often, so starting new ones from the ones outside is good for them. I have too many to name off the top of my head. Two terrarium types that are doing very well outside are Chocolate Velour and Blue Nile. There's another one out there that also has blue flowers and I can't recall its name. One I'm very pleased with that's new to me is Longwood Gardens--very tough and striking. I had a nice Cleo outside that was looking great, and then I went out to check on it and it wasn't there. Not a leaf. Can't figure what happened. A friend gave me a very tiny cutting of Silver Skies that hadn't been getting enough light, and it sure likes it outside--best one I every grew!
    Nancy

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

Someone once said that a plant expert is someone that has killed the most plants. Thats a little sad, ha.

I think the varigated ones will have to get used to your environment no matter when you purchase. It' is just the time they are in transit you need to worry about extreme temps.

My Canadian Cone Cleopatra is in a large open top bowl. Someone at my violet club brought one in a bowl like it 2 years ago and it was big with lots of stolens and blooming. Like I said, I'm not fond of the bloom, I like the plant for its leaf colors. Now if they were pink bloom! So after I seen her beautiful plant I had tried to buy some but couldn't keep them alive. Until I got this Canadian variety..keeping my fingers crossed.

I have Pink Panther, pink bloom' Blue Moon, blue bloom that I haven't seen yet; suomi, yellow bloom; Star of Bethlehem pink & white I think; Blue Nile, like lavender bloom, an unnamed yellow bloom, a cross of seeds someone had started..I'm waiting to see if it keeps it color for 3 generations!; Raspberry Tart-silvery pink blush to dark leaves; Aloha something, has pretty pink veining in the leaves; Pink Gator, leaves have a pink cast, especially when the light shines thru them; Country Girl, Gray Lady, Silver Skies, Silver Sheen (my first episcia; Chololate cream; Tiger Stripe, and a bunch I put down in a 5 gallon aquarium that grew all over and have lost their names. I also put some in a 15 gallon glass jug (it's antique). They went wild in there and there is no way to get them out now without tearing it all up. My friend gave me all her episcia cause they were not doing well for her, she can grow hundreds of violets though but the episcia disapoint her...some don't look too good but I'm trying to get them going again for me...some are pink bloom like Nancy Gay, Patience, also, solidar bronze has really pretty leaves, covered in soft down. One of the ladies in our violet club gets every episcia she can. She loves them. I havent been to her house, someone said there isn't a spot to put another plant..I'd love to see her collection!

Take care. tish

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Growhappy..sorry I hung up so fast the other night..I've been sick and passed out when we were talking. Let me tell you, I got so darned scared. I've so sorry..Feeling better today.

Nancy..It's too soon to cut my new Episcias, right? A couple are full..what about the stolons? Should they be removed?
    Sounds like you have quite a few varieties??? It'd be difficult taking cuttings and leaving the rest..I'd think ppl would take the extras off your hands, right?
    Nancy, keep a journal..Have you ever heard of Birds & Blooms magazine? They offer a journal once a year..It's got a lot of room and all types of information. I keep a daily diary in the center, names and dates of plants when purchased, a section when plants are fertilized, etc, and much more. There's also a ton of information and pictures of different plants and birds. I think it's 19.99 plus shipping, and worth every penny..
    Chocolate Valour is beautiful..Your Cleo is gone??? Do you think someone 'helped' themself? That's awful..I'm unfamilar with the other Episcias you named.
    Oh I know what you mean about cold and aging joints. It gets worse every year..among other things..sigh.
    Again, I'm sorry about your Cleo. Will you get another?

Tish, WOW!!! You have a ton of Episcias..LOL..how do you care for so many? Do they require a lot of humidity like the pinks?

I ended up calling Lyndon Lyons and buying both Cleo and Ember Lace..lol..plus I'm debating whether or not to add the Canadian Clone Cleo..a seller on Ebay had one, but it's sold..darn..there's another seller with the clone, but his price is rather high.

Tish, the plant in the bowl..is the plant planted directly in the bowl or in a pot? I have a fish bowl that 'might' be large enough if it doesn't need repotting. I had another glass bowl, but have to look around..Petsmart sells little goldfish bowls for a few dollars, so I'm thinking that might work. It's just a matter of where to place.

Growhappy, I'll call you back..
    Thanks for your help, everyone..I hope your Episcias do well over winter. Toni

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

Wait until your plants come to see what size bowl you would need, they do grow...they better grow. If you have a thrift store around you can find lots of them sometimes for really cheap. I put perlite in the bottom of the bowl and tossed in some charcoal (just because I had some. Then I set the pot in and filled around it with the soil I use with my av's with extra perlite added to lighten it even more. I have a bag of orchid mix, it's bark chunks and rocks and charcoal chunks and some spagnum moss..I bought for orchids and never could grow them, so I toss some of that around the plants in my terraniums for decoration and keeps the leaves up off the soil. (I'd seen someone else just set the pot in a bowl and fill under and around it with the spagnum moss but I don't control the moisture in that very well, it's either too wet or totally dry, so I didn't even consider that with my pink.

Many sellers on ebay have extra plants...contact them and ask if they have any more....some will sell directly to you or will list them so you can buy it now or bid. I bought "buy it now"...20 episcia stolens" a couple years ago that did really well. Then another violet club member brought a bunch to a plant sale. Only some look really good, they get leggy fast. If it is a good sized stolen, not tiny leaves ones, you can just start it by scraping the stem and pinning it into a cup of soil, it will attach and you can cut it loose and repot it. Or you can cut it off and put the stem into the soil. Their growth nature is to eventually get leggy, so starting new ones is really the answer..better light slows that down. If they are in a wide enough pot, you can pin the stolens right down in the pot and it will look to be a bushier plant. You got really nice sized plants. The only episcia I have that needs the humidity is Suomi, the pink Cleo and Blue nile. Course, with so many plants, maybe they are creating humidity just by the soil being wet in pots of plants all around them.

The only thing with growing outside and bringing anything in, you have to be careful not to have thrips, aphids, spider mites, etc come in too...especially if you have indoor plants. I used to bring in my Geraniums to overwinter and had to spray, spray, spray them a couple weeks before they came in the house...I used that inscecticidal soap. I was lucky.

How do I care for so many. Well, at the rate you are aquiring plants too, you'll soon know the answer to that...it takes a lot of time, ha.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Tish. You made out great on Ebay. I don't know if I'd buy stolens just yet..I'll try with those growing off the new Episcias, see if they root..if it's successful, in the future, instead of buying plants, I'll buy Stolens.

Cleo and Ember Lace came in yesterday..they're in 3" pots..I'll snap a pic..Cleo is much smaller then EL, but since I've never seen either in person, I can't compare.
    Of what I read, they need room to grow..since winter's nearing, they'll probably survive in the 3" pots, right?
    I have 2 fish bowls, a few aquariums, and 3 mini green houses..I'm going to try using one of the above..
    The only thing I'm worried about is air..Episcia sites state, they need a fan..so, what to do???
    Tish, do you have pics? I'd love seeing how you have yours set up, and well, just to be nosy..LOL
    Thanks for explaining how to root Stolens. It sounds fairly simple, similar to a Spider Plant (chlorophytum) or Strawberry Begonia. It may 'sound' easier than it actually is though..LOL
    I don't think I'll be getting anymore Episicas though..well, there are a few I'd love, lol, but space is the problem..THE space, not just any old place. Apparantly, these plants need a lot of care..they have special needs including a perfect environment. Setting in a window or shelf won't do it..we'll see how it goes.
    Thanks for the advice, Toni

• kathyb
    15 years ago

Hi
    I really enjoy growing Episcias I had 3 that I had been growing for a couple years but I lost them over the winter.
    They started out as little baby (unlabled) plants that someone had shared with me.
    Plants are not on my budget but if anyone has any baby Episcia or pieces that I could root I sure would take care of them.
    Please e-mail me at: rainbowa@bellsouth.net
    Thank you & have a good day.
    Kathy

• lindsey146
    15 years ago

Hi All, Just found you and was wondering how the episcia growning is going? I have half a doz. that I am having fun with. First one I acquired was Pinkiscia, which was on our AV club raffle table, LARGE stingy thing, wilted, and in a oyama pot... I am a BIG raffle ticket buyer so am blessed to take home a fair amount of goodies. This poor thing was being ignored so when one of my #'s came up, I picked it up. Had NO idea what it was but the pot was surly worth the price of ticket, and then some! LOL Well, on the upper shelf of AV stand it went. Start to perk up in a few days, tried to bloom but didn't. I broke off a large dangling piece so I stuck it in a plastic shoe box with a light violet mix. It seems to be rooting easily and even trying to bloom! Since I have acquired a few more via e-bay. So far so good though like most ladies, space is LIMITED, and we don't heat house in winter so even here in SoCa it can get chilly. From what I have read, they are very cold sensitive... so may lose them come winter. Hence I hate to get too carried away with acquiring more till I see what happens. But they are lovely and would like to add more to collection. If you are still monitoring this sight, great, I will watch to see it anyone picks this up... love hearing all the ideas and such!

• jon_d
    15 years ago

`Hi all,
    I am just dropping in to say8 hi. I am so busy now that I am working a full time job and taking care of my plants in my spare time, like today and tomorrow.

Look for some of my old posts on this forum. I wrote a lot about episcias, back three or more years ago. I don't know if they are archived.

Just remember that the easiest way to kill them is to grow them too cool. They are low land tropicals that like to be kept above 60 in winter, but prefer it even warmer. They are happiest if kept in the high 60's in winter. But, they will survive in a cool house. They just will not survive in a greenhouse tht is heated to the low 50's or outside. They grow best under lights, which will bring out the pink colors. Some silvery episcias will get pink or chocolate patches when grown under lights. If grown under domes, they are very easy to keep during the cool months. They take off in the warm months.

Also episcias do best if restarted or repotted fairly frequently. I like to root stolons and grow them on, or reroot the crowns or bury the crowns so there is no stem. A stemmy episcia doesn't look as good and will slowly decline.

Marcia Belisle carries the biggest selection--around 135 varieties. Another great source for some of you are the local gesneriad societies or the annual Gesneriad Society Convention. There is lots of hybridizing going on now, and some great new breakthroughs in flower color.

Jon

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lindsey..how cold does your house get? lol. It's true Episcias need warmth, but I doubt they'd suffer in temps a human can tolerate. (indoors) Know what I mean? Unless you endure 30-40F degrees, lol.
    Good luck..

Jon..Hello..lol..
    I can't find the search window on GW..where is it located?
    In your opinion, do Episcias do better under lights or in windows?
    Also, what type of light bulb is recommended? Gro bulbs or plain, old florescents? those on my shelf are 1 cool and 1 white. Are they appropriate?
    James Underwood Crockett, author and original host of Victory Gardens, suggested using these bulbs.. I've respected his opinions, followed his show and read his books. He'd been a gardener his whole life. From childhood. :) Do you know him? Toni

• jon_d
    15 years ago

Light Gardening 101:

I love growing under lights on light stands. You can go to mail order companies and buy very expensive multilevel units or you can easily assemble one from readily available materials and save about 2/3's of the cost. My newest stands were the easiest to assemble and cost about $200-$250.

The stand is a five shelf "Metro" style shelving unit, that is 4 feet long and 18" deep, standing a little over six feet tall. At the container store it cost $100 for a four shelf and pole kit, plus about $35 for the extra shelf. The unit is easy to assemble after you read the instructions. I kept doing things wrong and it still took only about an hour to put together. For taller people, you can have four levels of light garden. For shorter people three levels works well. The two upper shelves are good for storage of plant stuff. If you get tired of growing plants, the shelving units are great for storage.

For lights, I use the newer shop lights that are optimized for the newer T-8 4'fluorescent tubes. I bought my units at a local hardware store chain (Orchard) but Home Depot sells them now too. I use one, two tube fixture per shelf. I attach the fixture to the upper shelf with chain. I plug in the fixtures to a six plug strip, which plugs into a three prong timer, which plugs into the wall. I buy the T-8 (one inch in diameter) tubes at Home Depot in 2-packs for about $7 per pack. They carry three light styles. I look on the packages to pick the style with the most lumens (2950). I use four white 10/20 trays per shelf.

Voila, a perfect light stand with much brighter light than the old cool white/warm white/ grow lux type tubes (T-12"s). The T-8 tubes are also 32 watts instead of 40 for considerable savings in electricity. They just are more efficient, having better ballasts.

Total cost"
    5 shelf shelving unit = $135
    3 T-8 shop light fixtures = $75
    timer and plug strip = $25
    12 19/20 trays = $18

Total = $253

I use domes on many of my trays, which are about 7 inches high and fit on the trays. They cost about $6 each. I find that many gesneriads grow very easily under the domes and need infrequent watering. Episcias do very well this way. Also, I propagate a lot of gesneriads in small pots under the domes, fitting 18 three inch pots per tray.

I find the 10/20 trays and domes at indoor light gardening stores. Sometimes gesneriad shapters will buy a case of trays or domes and sell them at cost to members. So, for the Chicago Area you might contact the Northern Illinois Gesneriad Society.

It should be obvious, but the main requirement of a light stand is a site that is four feet long, against a wall being best. To increase the light on my plants I bought some white plastic sheeting, sold at an indoor light garden store. I have the plastic wrapped around three sides of the stand, so that much of the light is reflected back onto the plants. It increases light which saves money. Some people omit this and use two two-tube fixtures per shelf. I do not recomment buying three foot long shelving units as there is no practical way to fit economical fluorescents on them.

Jon

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

Hey, Toni, sorry to be so slow about answering your questions. Those stupid little windstorms we had kinda upset my routine. We had very little real trouble--lots of branches blown down and a few trees, bushes, and tall perennials blown over, but a house just one house away had a tree blown down on it. We've been trying to clean up, re-plant, remove--you can guess! Even poured Superthrive on my precious tender yellow camellia, and it looks like it's going to be okay. Felt really selfish fussin' about the downed branches when so many people STILL can't go home because of high water, and thousands are still without power. We lost power less than an hour in Gustav, and I think they flickered a time or two in Ike.

Sometimes when I'm really paying attention I take stolons off starting when they're smaller than yours--if you take all the stolons off (and of course root them, which is super-easy! but I've gotten so hard-hearted I actually throw them away!) they don't look as straggly. When you take a smallish plant and remove all the stolons or leave four carefully spaced ones, you can get a dramatic plant with huge leaves, since all the strength goes into the leaves. Stolons of episcias are unusual--you don't need a node to get roots; they'll develop all along the stem. (Learned that from Jon I think. Excellent source of information, that man!) But there's no rule that you have to or you can't. One of the things I like especially about the Gesneriad Society is they don't say there's only one way to grow a beautiful plant. For awhile there were people growing episcias in very large flat pans--pot saucers with drainage holes drilled in them I think--and pinning all the stolons down so they were really wide and dramatic. I have one this year in a coir-lined hanging basket--E. 'My Prescious'--with the stolons hanging down and rooting into the coir. Would look better without two hurricanes and the pot-tree falling down, but it's still kinda nice. I think you asked something else, but I can't remember! Think I've run on long enough anyway!
    Nancy

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jon, you are sooo funny..an electronic invoice..lolol..
    What material is your shelf unit?
    Actually, my significant other built a stand back in the mid 90's. It's probably not as ornate as yours, but it does the job. It's either that or nothing.
    We bought the stand (plastic) with 4 shelves. (19.99) It holds 3 lights per shelf. Can't recall bulb/fixture prices..their size = 48" L. Timer = 11.99..They had another timer for 7.99, but the one we got is supposedly better made, and will time up to two times..if that makes sense..lol
    You know the little plastic thingys, two colors, that sets the time to turn on and off? This timer contains 4 plastic pieces. 2 reds, 2 greens.
    At the time, everything included, plus tax, was under 100.00. Didn't have to pay installation fees either, lol.
    Jon, I know there are quality units but I'll have to stick with what I have for the time being.
    I also have a shelf that was purchased at Parks Seed. It cost 250.00 plus shipping. (bought in the early 90's) It's metal, two tiers, 4 trays per tier, but long..That's the problem..it's too long for the rooms in my house. It's sitting in the basement.
    Its light fixures hold two bulbs each. I mainly use it for sowing seeds. The lights are adjustable, so it can be used for plants if need be. But I fear using bulbs w/o sunlight.
    The home made shelf is in a front room..the front has 5 huge windows, south, west and north. So, plants on the shelf also gets sunlight.
    Also, with the new (24%) hike in electric, as of last Feb, perhaps depending on ol' Sol is financially sensible. For us anyway.
    I use artificial lights though..The home made stand and one 5' fixture/bulb in the back room. Both are on 5-7 hours per day..the back room faces east and south.
    Do you have a photo of your stand, Jon?
    LOL, it's gotten to the point I'm so obsessed with sunlight, I've been placing aluminum foil behind plants as a sort of, generic reflector..lol.
    Thanks for the help, and if you have a pic, please post.
    Oh, do you mist Episcias? While looking up information, several sites recommended spraying leaves. Normally, I avoid spraying any fuzzy type leaf plant. Like AV's. What's your opinion?? They also mention running a fan.

Nancy..Thank God you're okay..that's the main issue..felled branches can be tossed or used..It sounds like those winds were close, too close..enough to knock down your neighbors tree??? Did the tree break or was it pulled by its roots?? I've seen pictures/news of trees being torn from the earth. How awful!

Did you finish the cleanup? What happens when heavy winds strike? For instance, are stores closed?
    Do you find, when a threatening situtaion occurs, people are friendlier? Neighborly?
    I'm glad you and your family are safe.
    Oddly, we in Il got the tail end of the storm, so I can imagine what you guys went through. Our town flooded, tree branches strewn, knocked down, emergency vechiles were making rounds, even on Sunday. What a mess!! And scary.
    Do most homes there have basements?

Okay, now to plants, :), so trimming stolens encourages foliage growth?
    What's the easiest way to root stolens? Soil or water? Can they even be rooted in water? Which part is inserted, the leaf or string attached to the leaf.
    Is it similar to rooting Strawberry Begonia, (Saxifraga)?
    Sorry for all the questions, but it'd be nice if they rooted, especially if Episcias don't make it over winter.
    My pink Episcias don't look good. They're both in a fish bowl. The house is humid, warm, and during the day the ceiling fan is on. I didn't dare repot, moreso because of their sizes..small. Cleo is tinier than Ember Lace. Do you think I should attempt repotting? Both are in 3" square pots. To be honest, I doubt the pinks make it. Since they're sad-looking now, by the time Dec comes, when heat is turned on, dry air, well, I'm pessistic.

Anyway, thanks to you both for your help. As soon as someone replys about stolens, I'm going to give it a try..Thanks, Toni

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

People are really great here--after the storm goes by. Very helpful and neighborly. During the storm we kinda hunker down and hold our breath--or leave of course. Lots of people leave. The idea of getting stuck in that traffic with service stations running dry scares me more than the storms do! We weren't encouraged to leave where I live for these storms, tho' my good friend about thirty miles south had a mandatory evacuation both times. A few miles farther north really helps, plus we're a little higher even than people living pretty close. We've never flooded. It was pretty impressive how many people over how very large an area had trouble from Ike especially--even to Canada.

Almost no one has basements here, and I'm used to basements from other places I've lived (great places to store plants for the winter, and start seeds, etc.!) But the water table here is so high they say if you dig a basement you get a swimming pool. Lots of the cemetaries 'bury' people above ground, 'cause the flooding from hurricanes--and occasional other causes!--floats caskets right out of the ground. There were pictures of that in the paper this time. Not what you want to have happen to your loved ones.

I guess you could root stolons in water, but I just stick 'em in my regular potting mix. Occasionally I'll stick something in water 'cause I don't have time at the moment to pot 'em (did some today when I found more broken-off pieces of plants--not episcias) and they root 'cause I'm always behind, but I've been told that water roots are different from soil roots and the plants have to make a whole new set of roots. The things I put in water today were a little limp and dry, so they needed to soak for awhile before being potted. I love starting plants, mostly from cuttings but also by seed and division, and I'm trying to get it together to learn to graft. Sometimes kinda lose interest when they get more or less 'grown up'--full size and starting to bloom in the case of chiritas and begonias and episcias. Good thing I've got a plant club that has a monthly plant exchange! Episcias are really easy, either with small stolons or larger ones. Funny thing, being related to African Violets, they don't seem to grow from leaves, or at least very well. I think they root and then sit there. Think I heard of a person or two with lots of patience who actually got a plant that way, after a year or so.

Nancy

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nancy...it's amazing how helpful people get in times of disasters. Ever notice? It's too bad we all weren't as neighborly 365 days per year. People have grown further apart. I don't know if it's a matter of distrust or what, but it's sad.
    I remember, not too long back, when people were friendlier during the Christmas holidays..That too has pretty much changed.
    When my husband was in the army, he stopped in a small town...can't think which state offhand.
    People were walking along, minding their business, when suddenly a tremor hit..He said, everyone stopped what they were doing, hurried of of the stores, standing around, outdoors..People froze..it lasted seconds, but he said it felt like 'long' minutes. After it was over, everyone seemed to wake, nodded, looked at each other, and smiled..some of the old-timers shook hands..Why does it take a near-death experience for people to smile at their neighbors?

Oh yes, this gas thing is quite disturbing. It's gotten out of hand. But one thing, we're all spoiled. We turn on a switch and on goes lights, tv, ac, etc.
    It wasn't that long ago people completed their chores with the sun. Worked duing the day, and slept nights. No ac, internet, tv, radio, etc. Yet they managed. I'd assume, back then, people visited one another, and TALKED. something few families do nowadays..yes, we're all spoiled..
    The few times we've been w/o electric, (the transformer here shuts down after the slightest wind blows) it felt like doomsday. Thankfully, I stock up on candles, so during the night, the only thing left to do is read and/or talk. Which is what we did, read and talked..there's quite a bit to discuss when tv/radio is out. lol

Since there are very few basements where you live, where do ppl set washers and dryers? Also, when water rises, does it end up in the main floor of a house? Oh Lord, that would be frightening. Perhaps ppl who live on a 2nd or 3rd floor condo or appt building have a lot less to fret over.

Floating coffins: Don't want to go there, Nance..lol..sounds like a scene from a horror movie. No, don't think people want to see a family memeber in that situation. no siree. Creepy.

Setting a plant in water, if you find a broken stem/leaf, for a short period, especially if one is in a hurry, off to work or just doesn't have time to mix soils, is fine. Less chance of wilt.
    Yep, I too have read cuttings rooted in water, then soil have to 'double-root' from water roots to soil roots. it may cause stress on a plant, then again, may not.
    But, except for succulents, I have better luck rooting in water, then after roots form, soil. Whatever works, do it.
    With AV's, I never got one to root in water. Now it's the other way around. As long as they survive, despite root issues, is what counts.
    I havent' decided whether or not to root stolens..actually there's a few reasons..one is, I'm still hauling in plants..the gh needs a cleaning. Winter's nearing so days are shorter, and shorter days means longer waiting for roots. If they take root. I also have seeds to sow that should have been done last week. We need to sort through pots, many of which need to be discarded. And here I sit..lol..
    Nancy, if by chance stolens break off, I'll root..since there's only 4 per plant, it'll be an experiment...water and soil. see which works better. If they root.
    Thanks for the help. I'd love to hang Episcias, but they wouldn't get enough humidity, so that's out. They'd look nice, especially with stolens growing..temporarily nice anyway, until the dry air killed them off. lol. Toni

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

I have a little trouble with humidity in the winter, at least when it's cool enough to need to turn the heat on, and more often with the ac, but most episcias do well anyway. Of course with a lot of plants they help each other out with the humidity. Those pink-leaved or lavendar-flowered ones need a terrarium, but once I had to be gone for three months and grew one of the nicest Cleos I've had just sealed up in a bubble-bowl. I had set up the light-stands so my husband just had to pour water in each tray when it got dry, but they got some kinda bug he didn't even see. Took the one lonely bowl to the AV show right after I got back and it got a special prize, but most the plants were too far gone to save. There's real advantages to growing in sealed containers! I have read that you should always be careful to keep the lid tilted, but that hasn't been my experience, especially that time!

Toni, if people where you live aren't friendly you really should move down here! I come from a fairly stiff formal upbringing, both in my family and with people where I lived. I've learned here to just hug people without thinking about it. Amazing! I really like it. 'Bout the only time you don't see friendly people is when we're all huddled in inside rooms while the storms roar through. And everybody tends to get out and help everybody else pick up afterwards. As far as the gas shortage--it's not a real bother for *us*, at least, except if we were to have to evacuate. Then there are lines for miles and miles, with bumper to bumper traffic creeping along at about the speed you'd walk. They have what they call 'contra-flow', where the traffic can only go one way, and I think I read there were actually, with folks from Houston expecting to get hit and all the way over here, millions of people on the road at once. Just sitting there a lot with the motor idling. Unreal!

I think most people here have their washers and dryers in utility rooms off the kitchen--that's what we do. But other places I've lived, even with basements, sometimes we had a utility room or porch. Our first house was on a farm, and at first I had the wringer washer the people we bought it from left behind out in the milk house! When I was about to have my second, my husband said that with two kids in diapers I really needed to be able to wash in the house, and got me a washer and dryer (praises be!) But there was plenty of room in the big farm-house type kitchen. I loved that house--had the best window-wills for plants I ever had! And it had room in the basement for lights to grow seeds and cuttings.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nancy. Obviously, pink Episcias need a lot of humidity..my Cleo and Ember Lace are in a glass fish bowl, but the top is uncovered..the only reason I haven't sealed is because after researching Episcias, many many people said they need humidity, but also fresh air, AND a fan. I have no idea how to go about supplying fresh air once our heat is turned on..
    The humidity has been high since buying both plants Remember, we don't use a/c or c/a..so, whatever the humidity is outside, it's the same in our house. It rained, non-stop for a wk and throughout the month.
    Even after 99% humidity, the pinks are fragile. Don't know if they'll make Il winters..air get too dry. Even with a humidifer, indoor fountains, and misting. Dry compared to THE perfect Episcia environment..The average person doesn't live or feel comfortable at 90%+ humidity..lol..
    I'm going to follow your advice by sealing the pinks, see how they do. What about ventilation? If plastic is used to cover, should it be slit? Should I leaves plastic on 24/7 or remove a few hours per day?

Nancy, how many months do you keep heat on? Is it gas heat? Vents or radiators? What temperature do you and your husband feel comfortable? Some people prefer cool and others warm to hot..
    We have vents which IMO are the worse..prefer radiators. They blow out hot, dry air. Terrible for ppl and plants.

Oh, it's just awful about your plants..Nancy, never leave a husband in charge of something that needs care..lol.
    How many did you lose? Can you ID the insect? There are advantages and disadvantages growing sealed plants. The major problem: fungus gnats. They thrive on moist soil w/o air circulation..I wonder where they come from. If one has a plant for years, and suddenly these guys come about, where on earth had they been before?
    Fungus gnats hang around in nurseries/greenhouses. Especially temporary gh's in Il..the gh's are plastic..no fans. Windowless. The only difference is, 99% plants sold are annuals/perrenials..they're planted outdoors, so in most cases, gnats eventually die. But if one of the plants are brought indoors, bugs will infest other plants.
    What about green Episcias? Do they need as much humidity as pinks? There's a huge difference between my greens and pinks. Then again, the greens were bought at a different nursery, arrived larger and healthier. I'm not saying the pinks were dead or dying, but they weren't as stable looking by no means.
    Nance, do you keep Episcia soil wet/moist/or let dry? What about fertilizing in winter? What type do you use? Not the brand name, but the type? Eg, for foliage plants, or flowering, etc? What about pH..do they need acidic, neutral or alk soils?
    After you lost plants, did you replace them? Did you and your husband have a fighting match after you discovered their condition? lol.
    My husband takes some interest in plants. He has five at the office. I once gave him a young hibiscus a few years ago..it was doing well until his company relocated. He brought the hib back and asked me to 'fix it.' lol. It's fine now, but he's afraid if he takes it back to work it'll lose leaves again, and/or die.
    One thing he complains about is my choice of containers. lol. He thinks plants should be potted in pretty, ornate ceramics. I've explained time after time, although there are some gorgeous pots available, my plants do best in plain, plastic growing pots. Especially plants that require high humidity and set atop pebbles in trays. The water would probably ruin a pot. I've asked him, what's more important, the health of the plant or the container..he said both..lol..

You're lucky living in a town with friendly people. I'd move, but there are two problems. Hubby's job and our families. At this point, I doubt I could just up and leave. My siblings depend on me so if we were to move out of state, well, we'd miss each other..the sad thing is, although they're in Il, they're not a skip and jump away..especially when driving through Chicago. Sheesh! bumper to bumper traffic..not as bad but pretty much how you described evacuation.
    My husband and his family are from the south. We've gone there for funerals..although, the reason wasn't a happy event, I found the south comforting..people are wonderful. Talk about Southern Hospitality!! Especially Tn, Al and Ga.
    People in Il were always standoffish, but have gotten more distant since the 70/80's. I think it's distrust. It's worse since the internet and the media, hearing frightening stories. So, ppl no longer involve themselves with others. Years ago, if someone's car broke down, especially when temps were in the teens or lower, the majority would help, but now with so many stories floating around, ppl are scared. Unfortunatly with good reason. Crime is everywhere, but some states/cities are notorius for higher crime rates. Shootings, etc. Men who say their car isn't working, only to nab a woman and, well, whatever.
    It's really sad.

We watched the news and saw cars lined up, bumper to bumper traffic, when storms were predicted down south. Cars looked stalled. No one moving.
    In times of emergency, where does everyone go? What about people who have pets? Do they leave them behind? Is there a place/s people are offered shelter? What happens to those who haven't any family or can't afford to pay hotel/motel rates for weeks or longer? God, that'd be awful.
    Some cities in Il are notorius for tornados. One place, Plainfield, is really bad.. in the late 80's/early 90's, Plainfield was wiped out. The people were optimistic and rebuilt, but many were fed up and moved away. Insurance rates went sky-high. Much of Plainfield is farm land. Fields were distroyed, not to mention areas with homes and buildings. Since tornados arent' nearly as vicious as hurricanes, I can't imagine the damage done. Only what's on the news. Very depressing.

Why did you move from the home you loved? It sounds you were very content living there. (if you don't mind me asking.)

Speaking of storms, looks like we're in for a big one. I pray we don't lose electric. The town's transformer needs replacing. Again. A little wind and off goes emergency sirens. There's two near our house..They alone are frightening.

Well Nance, when you have time, will you reply to Episcia questions? I really wish someone who resides in Il, and grow Episcias would respond..Heck, anyone from the midwest. lol.
    Care for plants differ by location. That's a big problem giving advice. But it sure helps..Thanks, Toni

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

Y'know, if I do even a half-way job of answering I'll be writing a book! Love to talk plants tho', so I'll answer as much as I can remember--maybe more later if I find I left too much out!

Today it hit me suddenly that you had asked about water in houses and I'd forgotten to answer. Some folks I saw on local TV had water inside chest-high. My good friend I think I mentioned that lives about thirty miles south had water above her knees in the yard, but after Rita (the hurricane after Katrina that everyone forgets unless they live here!) they put their house up on I think twelve-foot pillars, so they didn't have any in their house. People near-by did. At some part of my past, I guess when I was young and innocent!--I realized I thought of floodwaters as just water. Not mud, or nastier stuff like petroleum wastes and sewage. One more pretty illusion destroyed!

As you say there's a lot of difference in growing conditions here and where you are, but I grew episcias in Nebraska and Oregon too. Don't remember having any particular problems, except for the occasional bug infestation or lack of attention when something else was going on. As for potting mix, I used to mix my own--roughly equal parts of sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite. But then the only perlite I could get locally was so fine it didn't work well, and for the last couple years I guess I've been getting Rob's 'wicking mix', since I wick just about everything. I'm not sure how the price compares with what I was doing, but it's certainly a bonus as far as convenience, and since I couldn't find the quality I wanted to do it myself it seemed well worth it. There are good brands around, but it's been some time since I could just run off and spend the day shopping for stuff when I needed it.

I think wicking is absolutely essential for me to grow as many plants as I do. Just aren't enough hours in the day to care for everything! But it's essential to have a mix that really drains well, as well as one that absorbs it. Some mixes won't 'suck it up', so to speak. I fertilize every time I water, with a weak solution of, by preference, DynaGrow 'grow' formula. Use others sometimes. I don't have any trouble getting them to bloom usually--good thing about growing under lights. And I leave the lights on longer than some people recommend, at least for AVs. (About 14 hours.) Usually when I put things in terrariums I put a lid on and leave it. Open it to water and groom. Don't recall ever having fungus gnats in a terrarium, tho' I've had them in the plant stands. Mostly I just get them in the compost bucket in the kitchen! Not too bad tho'--just put small dishes of water and a citrus-based de-greaser some people use in the garage to clean tools. It also kills various bugs. Lately I've been adding a very little bit in the jugs of water I use to water my plants. (It's rainwater I collect.) Oh--the bugs in the plants when I came back--it was awhile ago and I'm not sure, but I think it was cyclamen mites. (They were mostly African Violets. Grow more different things now.) I probably took leaves, and of course it's always kinda fun to have an excuse to get new plants. And an advantage of belonging to plant clubs is people are always happy to share! I came back just before our show, so people had extra plants for the sale. But that episcia that had been sealed up for three months was fine, not having been allowed to 'breathe' without the lid off. Oh--I should say, in terrariums I usually plant them with a little soil right around the root-ball, but mostly just straight sphagnum moss--not peat. Just moss. I tried a lot of different set-ups over some years, as suggested by various articles and speakers and such, but that's what works for me. Not necessarily for others. You know that drill I'm sure!

Hope that covers everything--anything I missed? Oh--I started this yesterday, but the computer went out. The started letter was still just sitting there when I logged on. Hope it behaves tonite!

Nancy

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    I think you've covered everything, but there's always more questions that need answering..lol
    I too enjoy talking plants..most plants, not only Episcias/av's..it's interesting learning how others care for their plants. The problem is what works for one may not work for another.
    I still depend on old-fashioned soil but add Perlite, Peat, etc, depending on the plant. Sphagnum Peat is added to plants, 'Gardenias and Citrus' that require acidic soil. Peat, soil, Perlite, Sand...
    I dont have the time or desire to water and fertilize 300, possibly 400 plants. Especially fertilizing..it takes 3 days to fertilize indoor trops and sux, not counting garden plants.
    As for wicking, I feel comfortable watering one by one. But that's me..it's a matter of choice, really. One reason, it gives one time to look plants over, inspect for bugs, test soil, and remove faded leaves/flowers.
    Wicking would save time. Heck, my husband says he's going to install cement floors, then all I have to do is hose. lol. Not a bad idea..If we added glass walls and ceilings it'd really be nice. One huge greenhouse.

Nancy how did your friends jack their house up, whatever it's called, on 12' pillars? Is it a mobile home? If not, how is this accomplished? At least they were flood free.

Children have positive outlooks on, what adults deem disasters.
    When I was in grade school, IL had one really bad snowstorm. Swow accumulated high, drifts over 10', cars and buses were left on the streets, parked haphazardly. People were made to exit buses, make do on their own.
    Many food and paper items were limited to one. Even people with 4 children could only buy 1 gallon of milk and one roll of toilet paper.
    But we kids thought it great. No school..children played on highways/expressways. They brought sleds and slid down hills onto the highway..lol. Chicago was like a ghost town, pictured white. But like you said, one more pretty illusion, destroyed.

Nancy, so do you still order mixes online? Isn't shipping costs outrageous?
    If you can make up your own soil or soil less, and it works, that's the way to go.
    Is soil for Episcias supposed to be well-draining or hold moisture? Especially if they're kept in a sealed tank? This soil thing is so baffling.

I found a guy here who sells huge bags of Perlite for 1/3rd the price sold in stores. At first skeptical, I discovered he also sold on Ebay. I never called him, which was a mistake. Someone from the AV forum checked the sellers Perlite's size and said I should go for it. I'll see if he's around next spring, if so, I'm going to buy 3 or 4 bags. Why pay 3.99 for a small bag at Home Depot, etc?

You put de-greacer in soil??? Aren't you afraid? Maybe I misunderstood. What type of insects does it kill?

I'll play around with mixes for Episcias. There's really little info about this plant..and what is found, is repetitive..if you've ever researched online, you know what I mean.

I won my first Chimera called Little Stinker on Ebay..it's sooo pretty..It has a second color outer tissue, that can be felt. I can't wait till it arrives. Just hope it lives. lol.

Nancy, you mention growing various plants now..what types? Do you mean plants other than Gesneriads? It's fun growing different varieties. Each need different care..some are grown for leaf color, others for flowers, especially fragrant. Ummm. Good luck, and thanks...Toni

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

Hi Toni--Sorry to be so long getting back to you. Our computer has been on the blink--I must be seriously addicted, 'cause it was really hard not to be able to log on. Takes so long to get replacement parts--you can get 'em locally but they cost twice as much. That makes up for the shipping charges! Seems like some places are really adding on a lot of charges they don't need to--or maybe it's 'cause they spend a lot of care in the packing and it's worth it. I don't know--but if I can't find it locally it doesn't matter--within reason of course--what it costs. I spend money on plants and plant supplies. Guess I'm gonna have to spend some money on me, for heaven's sake--I'm running out of clothes I can wear, and what I can is getting really worn. Now that's money I hate to spend!

I just use the same mix for episcias I do for AVs and chiritas--basically it's approximately equal parts of sphagnum peat, perlite, and vermiculite. I add crushed eggshells--understand it does about the same thing as dolomite lime, which I can't find locally, and it's clear the plants like the eggshells--anytime I re-pot there'll be roots sticking to little bits of eggshells. If I used our soil I'd be in trouble--it'd make concrete real fast! But if yours works, that's what counts. Once I moved from one house to the house next door and had to change how I grew things. It's really amazing what works and what doesn't depending on where we live. I'll never get over being shocked at how different just the house next door was!

I grow quite a few gessies and a lot of begonias--here I can put a lot of them outside. Some I have to cover for a little while in what counts as winter here--guess there's a few nights when it freezes but I often don't see it. There was one winter where it actually got cold for a few days, and when I was telling a local friend who'd been out of time during it she thought I was telling whoppers. It was quite a while ago and I'm not sure, but it seems like it got down to six degrees F. I also grow a lot of bulbs that will put up with our hot humid summers, and a bunch of other stuff--have a fairly good-sized yard for a suburban lot, so there's room for lots of things, and I love doing it and spend most my time working out there, or in here changing reservoirs, grooming, starting new cuttings--I love propagating. Often kinda lose interest once they're big and beautiful. Doesn't make any sense. But I can generally find someone to give 'em to. Outside I have really a lot of different kinds of gingers, less salvia varieties than I used to have but still quite a few, various cacti and succs--can't think of everything. Definitely plantaholic!

Nancy

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    It's awful when our computers break down or need parts..With recent viruses, it's scary updating..Some jerk is sending out an official looking windows update. Supposedly if you click Cancel, it's said your puter will catch this virus..you're supposed to 'x' it out..What next?
    Anyway, glad you got yours working.

I know what you mean about certain mediums not sold locally..same here. But ordering heavy soils, etc shipping is too much $$.
    What are eggshells for? I don't use or know what dolomite lime does/is..lol. What do you do, boil an egg, or does it matter? Do you soak shells? How many eggs do you add per plant? That's interesting.

It's amazing how our gardens differ..I'm assuming Salvia is a perrenial in LA??? It's grown as an annual here. Some varieties are so beautiful..one of my favs grows a tall, spiked, fluffy flower..different colors such as red, purple, and cream.
    Do you know the plant Cockscomb? If so, are the two related?

Well, the bad news is, my Cleopatria died. Ember Lace is fine, so far, but Cleo didn't make it.
    Cleo was a smaller cutting...The sad thing is, a seller on Ebay had a Cleo clone for bid..its colors were nowhere as vivid, but according to two different sellers who had the clone stated the clone is hardier..I'm sorry I didn't buy the clone now.. :(

A funny thing happend..Walmart had an Aeschynanthus, can't think of the species offhand..it's green and maroon, leaves are larger than Lipstick. Anyway, Walmart had the same, exact plant about 10 yrs ago..the tag read, Deer Fern..What's funny is, now, 10 yrs later, they had another Aeschynanthus with a tag that also read Deer Fern..It looks nothing like a fern nor a deer..lol. Whoever tags plants is way off. What are the odds? Darn, what is its name..
    I browsed through a few books, and checked desert-tropicals.com...Nothing.

I'm assuming a few cold, even freezing days won't harm a tropical too much, but it depends on the plant. Plumerias are extremely cold-sensitive..a little chill and goodbye.
    So far, this year, we had a few 35F nights..my plants survived, even though soil was wet from all the rain we got in Sept..The only plants I worried about were succulents, which were the first to come in this year. Wet soil and cold nights will cause rot. Sux on average about about the last plants coming inside. Not this year.

How are your plants doing? Are temps warm enough there so you don't have to worry abot losing any?
    Thanks for responding, and sorry it took so long to answer. Toni

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

Hi Toni--
    No apology necessary! I know sometimes we have to do silly things like eat and sleep and take care of our families--and plants!

Last time you asked some questions I forgot to answer--if I go back to check if I left something out I lose the message. Always feel like I lost some of my brain when I've written a bunch of stuff and it zooms off into outer space or wherever lonely messages go. One thing you asked was about raising houses. Lucy's house isn't a mansion or anything, but it's not a mobile home--kinda typical suburban ranch-style I guess, with some changes through the years. I happened to turn on the TV in the middle of a program I think was about the hurricane that pretty much wiped out Galveston (Texas) I think in 1912, and they were talking about raising houses there. Some were nice Victorian houses with I maybe three stories, and they were raising them using horses. Don't think they do it that way now, but I don't really know how they do it. Too expensive I think for a lot of people, but you can't get insurance without it now if you live in a low area, or maybe just have to get a very large deductible. Really hard for people, but the ones who can't afford to do it can't afford to move either. Life isn't easy when you're on those lower rungs of the ladder.

Another thing you asked was about the orange cleaner-stuff I add to the water I use on my plants. On one of these forums probably six months or a year ago, somebody said he went to Home Depot and got a gallon jug of an orange cleaner-degreaser called Zep I think, and added a splash to a bucket of water and watered fire-ant hills with it. I tried it and it worked beautifully. Don't know whether it kills 'em or just chases 'em away, but I don't really care. They have their place in the 'web of life', I guess, but I'd rather not have them around here. You probably don't know about fire-ants, hm? Lucky you! They're little things, but they swarm all over you, and they have this clever ability to bite and sting at the same time. I have built up an immunity--from exposure--and don't get the nasty reaction I used to get, but they still don't feel good--the 'fire' in their name comes from how the bite feels. So anyway, I thought if it worked for that what else would it work for? Started using it various ways--in the mop bucket to chase away the various bugs we have in such generous supply ('cause it never gets cold enough to kill much of anything, including bugs!) Not the very best cleaner I've ever used, but not bad, and when I use it in a spray bottle on my plant stands not only does it clean them, the bugs died when they flew in even after I was through cleaning. Started adding just a little to the water, and I don't know what all it kills but I do know it killed the scale on a chirita species that I'd tried just about anything I could think of and couldn't get rid of it. Funny thing--that chirita was on a shelf with other chiritas and other plants and nothing else got it. It was a different kind of scale from anything I'd ever seen before and I didn't recognize it at first--almost lost the plant before I watered it with that.

Okay--now for today! I think any time you have anything organic, for instance peat moss, as time goes by it begins to break down and becomes increasingly acid. The dolomite keeps it from getting so acid it damages the plants. I think the eggshells do about the same thing--but the real reason is my mother, who usually had a scientific explanation for what she did with her plants, said she didn't know what they did, but she always found the plants had attached their roots to any bits of eggshell they found. I have a good-growin' friend who goes to all sorts of trouble with her egg-shells--boils 'em and puts 'em in the blender so they're really fine--but I just drop shells from anything

I'm cooking, or just my breakfast eggs, in an oatmeal box, and when there are quite a few and I need some I smash 'em up a bit and add a handful or three, 'til it looks right to me. Now that's scientific! Of course it lightens the mix some, which I always think is important. The mix I buy is very light and the postage isn't much--but I suppose it is fairly expensive, tho' it lasts very well, and sometimes I add it to something like the mix at the big box store to lighten that.

I did some reading on the net about salvia so I could do a better job of answering you--but of course it would have taken hours or even days to do a good job! I think before I got here I thought there was only one kind of salvia, the bright red one that everybody uses for bedding--and which comes in many more colors now. But according to what I was reading there are something like 700 species of salvia, and they come in annual, biennial, perennial, and shrub or sub-shrub varieties. A lot of the ones I grow are tender perennials and make it through most winters here, but sometimes they don't. Sometimes I take cuttings so I'll still have 'em if we get a little chilly weather. Most years it doesn't get much below 30F here but occasionally it'll get a little colder, and the worst is when things get all spring-like and everything starts growing, and then we get quite likely the coldest weather of the 'winter'. (I think I may have said, I moved here from Nebraska, and I know what winter is, and I just can't bring myself to say 'winter' without the quotes for what we have here. The coldest weather we had in Nebraska was the January before we moved here, and we knew we were coming and were back and forth on the phone a lot. Bill would ask 'what's the temperature there today?' and they'd sound kind of bored, he said, and then say, oh, maybe 68 or so. For almost the entire month of January it never got up to zero for the 'high'! It did get to 35 below one winter, but that was only down and back up to regular cold again. That was practically a whole month. The pipes under the streets froze.) Just never gets really cold here. Fine with me! There are a lot of tropicals that have to come in--like the plumerias--and I take cuttings of some in case they don't make it. Have a new banana this year I'm kind of worried about, and I don't think I can take a piece off it. Good mulch and maybe I'll wrap the trunk or something, and I think it'll do--my other bananas are either hardy or come back from the roots (all three, if you count Musella! Read that back and it sounded like I had a plantation out there!)

Boy, the people that label plants must take some kinda special training all right! Aeschynanthus labeled deer fern is some kinda prize winner though! Can't think of anything I've seen quite that bad. Guess it's better not to have a name at all than one that leads you that far astray. Sometimes I get something I'm sure I'll be able to identify it, and then can't. I have one really cute little bitty succ like that. But I must say, I haven't worked at it as hard as I should have. So much to learn! One of the things I do is look at the websites of various nurseries that have a pretty good reputation for names and that have pictures--Rob's Violet Barn, Kartuz Greenhouses, Logee's--many others of course--and look at the pictures and check the names, and stick things in my brain (or at least try to!) Those three are good for various gesneriads like Aeschynanthus. I think these nurseries do a great public service just in putting those pictures and names on the web. Obviously, they sell more plants with pictures, so it's to their advantage, but you don't have to buy to learn a lot. Back before the web I used to send for catalogs a lot--we moved frequently, and often we lived in places that didn't have much in the way of nurseries, or gardening clubs or plant societies either, and I learned an awful lot from catalogs. (And sometimes spent money too, tho' nowhere near as much as I wanted to!)

I'm ahead of myself a little in taking things in this year, but not because it's either cold or wet. Too dry--officially we've had .20 inches of rain this month. I think it was 86 or 87 today, very, very humid, and got clear down to 72 I think this morning. Supposed to get a cool front through tonite or tomorrow, maybe 70s high and lows in the fifties, and less humid. Less humid will be nice. I get tired of being wet and sticky all the time sometimes, but then I think how much the plants like it. My waistbands are always wet. My nightgown's always wet. But the plants love it! so I try to!
    Nancy

• epi-lover
    15 years ago

Hi Hopefulauthor,

Per your question? Why is it so hard to find the pink leafed Episcias? Actually, It's not, you just have to know where to look. You can find several varieties of Episcias on Ebay at really good prices. I have several pink leafed Episcias myself, and all were purchased off of Ebay. Episcia Ember Lace is quite hard to find, and actually, one of the harder to grow pink leafed Episcias. I myself, don't find Ember Lace hard to grow at all. But, there are a few simple rules to follow though. I've found Ember Lace likes to be grown at the furthest end of the spectrum. In otherwords, at the end of the growing lights when growing on plant shelves. I also grow my Ember Lace a little dryer than the rest of my pink Episcias. Also, when growing Ember Lace, you must pinch all of the non variegated (brown) leaves out. By not doing so, you will lose most, if not all of your pink variegation. Episcias also require high humidity to survive. By not providing them with high humidity, they will turn brown and dry around the edges. Episcias must not be subjected to temperatures any lower than 55-60 degrees. They are true tropicals, and they resent cold. As for finding Episcias through mail order, Logee's, Rob's Violet Barn, Kartuz Greenhouses, Glasshouse Works and Lyndon Lyon are all good sources for Episcias. I have ordered from all of the above, and I found Rob's Violet Barn to be the most reliable. Again, Ebay is a really good source. A lot of Ebay sellers will list there Episcias with a starting bid. But, I've found most times, if you ask them to list them for a buy it now price, they will.

• thumperinflorida
    14 years ago

In my opinion the easiest of the pink-leaved Episcias is Pink Smoke. I've got a huge tray of it under lights on a stand. It grows just as well at the far end as it does in the middle.

I've got leaves that have broken off in opening and closing the lid and they root as easy as if I was deliberately trying.

...and honestly, I find it way more pleasing with pink leaved plants to have a pink bloom. Plants like Cleopatra with the jarring red blooms are distracting and just don't look like they belong. I pinch each and every bud off.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company