Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lipstick plant 'mona lisa'

Posted by smithjm z9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 19:21

a couple months ago it bloomed but only had a couple of them and they didn't last long. How can it get more buds? it gets plenty of light but not direct. it s growing very well. Heres a pic of it when it was in bloom. those blooms you see there were it, after that it didn't bloom again.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/357680679/363824560qDcVdy#

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lipstick plant 'mona lisa'

I think it probably needs more sun.

-Mo (WV)

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 14:25

I don't know this name, but it seems I know this plant. So, now I know the name of the Lipstick I bought without a name last winter. My plant just came back into flower after its initial heavy flowering. It was loaded with buds when I bought it. Now, my plant is flowering but lightly, about like yours, maybe a little better. I have it in my greenhouse where it is getting good light. I think with lipsticks it is a combination of even watering, feeding and good light that gets a good flower show. Speaking of Flower Shows, today I am entering this plant in the County Fair--so your post has been very timely, providing me with a cultivar name.

Your plant is probably adequately lighted, though you could try to get more light to it somehow--maybe by lowering it a little or moving it or something. But, I think you have it in a decent location. Just have patience and see if it doesn't flower better at its nex go-round. I believe this one and some others are new hybrids coming from Europe (Holland??) where they are being mass propagated and sold all over the world. It seems to be an improvement on the older Lipsticks like lobbianus, radicans, 'Pullobia' etc. I use "Lipsticks" only for the aeschynanthus in this group which have large lipstick tube-like calyxes. Thanks for posting the photo.

Jon

o

WILL LIPSTICK LIVE OUT SIDE HERE IN ZONE 6

o

Here is where?
It needs good humidity and ouside shade - so if you are in a humid climate, you can keep it outside in summer under the porch roof - so it can get morning sun or evening but not afternoon - and you will take it home when it gets under 50. I think Jon_D tried almost all the gesneriads to grow outside in SF area - so he will be the best expert.

Good Luick

irina

o

As Irina says, outside in the summer is probably okay, but in z6 you'll freeze 'em to sticks before winter hits. I grow mine outside, with some protection if frost is predicted, but I'm in z9, and this 'winter' we didn't even get a real frost.

o

HOW DO YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM LIKE FOOD,DO THEY LIKE THERE ROOTES DRY OR LOOSE? HOW TALL DO THEM GET? OR ANY MORE CARE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here