Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureboinc

episcia

natureboinc
20 years ago

Hey,

I'm just getting into gesneriads. I bought some AV's and an episcia from a nursery a couple of weeks ago. The episcia was un-named, and hasn't bloomed yet. It has started growing already, and the leaves have gotten more color, especially in the young ones. My question is, I just watered it yesterday, it really sucked up a good bit, (peter's fertilizer in the water). The youngest leaves are pretty curly now. The plant still looks very healthy, just the curly leaves. I used tepid water. The only thing that has changed in the last bit, is I moved it over to the other side of the window, where it gets a little stronger light. This is a western exposure, with an extra window screen attached to the inside. It is sitting right on the windowsill. It seems happy, as it responds to the light.

Is the curling leaves a sign of too much light or water?

Glenn

Comments (10)

• AuntieCelene
    20 years ago

My experience would be the change in light--episcias like bright shade, a west window might be a little much for it, especially in the summer. Mine do really well in a North window, though it has no screen.

HTH,

Celene

• greenelbows
    20 years ago

If it's just the light--or even if it's something else--chances are it'll adjust. I inadvertantly left a 'Blue Nile" where the changing of the sun's pattern left it in what I would have thought was too much sun (it's outside for the summer lapping up the heat and humidity) but all it did was to absolutely explode into bloom. It won't be happy inside when it gets cooler without a terrarium, but it sure likes summer in Louisiana! (Full sun at noon! I felt terrible when I realized--but it didn't!)

• mom6nan
    20 years ago

It might do better with more humidity. Spray it every other day for a week or so or allow it to rest on pebbles in water.

Nancy

• episcias
    20 years ago

Can anyone guide me in growing large leaves for blue nile???

• mwedzi
    20 years ago

I think it's the light, too. My episcia did this when it was clear and sunny for a few days in a row. It sits in an obstructed south window. Curled its youngest leaves up, but they are stating to relax now. I don't know if it's because days haven't been as sunny for the past week or if it's because it has adjusted.

• PABROY_76
    20 years ago

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL WHAT SIZE WICK TO USE FOR A I OR
    2 CUP SIZE POTS WITH EPISCIAS ????
    THANKS SO VERY VERY MUCH. ROY. IT APPEARS THAT MINE GET TO
    WET AND DONT MAKE IT ???

• KarenMN
    20 years ago

Good question, episcias. My 'Blue Nile' is growing, but the leaves are getting smaller. I use Schultz 8-14-9 African Violet Plus. Anyone have any ideas?

• episcias
    20 years ago

Can anybody teach me how to grow large leaves for Blue Nile?????

• greenelbows
    20 years ago

I don't think 'Blue Nile' has very big leaves even when it is very happy, if you're comparing it to some of the larger growers. They will get bigger with plenty of light, heat, and humidity, and light fertilizing. But they'll never, at least so far as any I've seen, get really big. Not the 'nature of the beast'.

• dirtmonkey
    19 years ago

'Blue Nile' can get pretty good sized leaves- the trick is high warmth and humidity, and lower light. Usually the ones with the biggest prettiest leaves don't have as many flowers due to the lower light.

Vincent

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone