Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy547

Information on Dancing Dolphin Vine?

Kathy Johnson
18 years ago

I'm not even sure if I'm in the right place!

I happened on a picture of this plant & am wanting to get one. I don't know anything about it or even what the latin name is. The site I saw it on was Michigan Bulb & I may have to get it from them because I haven't found anyone else that sells it. Any information would be attreciated. I'm not a collector but would like one as an interesting houseplant.

Comments (12)

• jon_d
    18 years ago

I think they are using this name for columnea. Try doing a google picture search on columnea and you should get dozens of pictures to look at. The gesneriad reference web and the AGGS web site have lots of photos, so you can start by looking at their sites. All I know about the Michigan Bulb Company is that they have the worst reputation of any mail order company I know of. But, you can get wonderful starts of columneas from quite a few mail order sources. One that is known for sending very nice starts is Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses. The AGGS web site (www.aggs.org) has links to mail order nurseries that carry gesneriads on their "Suppliers" page, accessible from the home page. Here is the URL for the Gesneriad Reference Web. Go to the page for genera and select columnea to get to the thumbnail links for the photos. Another plant that sometimes is called "Dolphin Plant" and also a gesneriad is Streptocarpella, with blue to purple flowers.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Gesneriad Reference Web

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I think it's a really good idea to skip these places that only give 'cutesy' names like 'dancing dolphin vine' to their plants without a latin name in at least the small print. It's really hard to find out how to grow something if you don't know what it is! Common names--if that can be called one--vary from place to place in the country, something I became very much aware of as I moved a lot. I tried to learn common names wherever I was so I could converse with local gardeners, some of whom were to say the least 'Latin averse', but latin names are the same wherever you go. Great to see latin names along with the beautiful Thai labels, or with Romanian names I couldn't read too much better! If a catalog doesn't care enough about their plants or their customers to give them correct names I don't trust them to take care of them before they send them, or be careful about shipping.

• komi
    18 years ago

I looked at the pic and it's a red columnea - nice trailing growth habit. I also did a google search for plant sources reviews and checked the rating for Mich bulb on the first site that came up. Wow.

If you want a bigger plant, then call the some of the gesneriad sources and see if they have one for sale.

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your information! I also googled 'plant sources reviews' & you are right! Wow! I didn't realize Michigan Bulb was THAT bad! And then I did the same for Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses & they are just the opposite. At least now thanks to you guys, I at least know a Latin name so I can do my searching. Jon D, I am also going through the link you provided. I take it Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses doesn't have a website?

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry! I found the website! Sure wish there were more pictures as I have no idea what most of those plants are! LOL!

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

The link Jon gave you for the Gesneriad Reference Web has >tons

• josette_sc
    18 years ago

I found it listed as "Columnea billbergiana" but it does not say how to propagate it. Can someone help?

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

They're very easy and fairly fast starting to root using the regular tip cutting method with sterilzed moist soil and a clear plastic covering til rooted. You will need a bright spot that's warm as well, for good results. This time of the year, a gro-lite would help as they're most likely winding down their growth for the winter. I have to say however, looking back a few years, I'd sometimes fill out a pot for a bushier look just by sticking the cuttings directly back into the same pot the cutting came from and just with normal watering they'd take root and grow on, but that was during the warmer months of the year usually , when regular humidities are higher, and during the winter the indoor air may be too dry to use that method, though they are pretty tough in general , and might just shed a few leaves til they've rooted.

• holly_c
    18 years ago

Lyndon Lyon does not ship during the winter (I think). And yes....stay FAR, FAR away from Michigan Bulb. I have had great results from Kartuz greenhouses. They are in California and have a great selection of gesneriads. The Nematanthus that I have ordered from them have been much healthier and larger than any I've received from other growers.

• plainjayney_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been purchasing from Michigan Bulb for about 4 years and have NO problems, and also they Do have the latin name for the plants. Just sayin.

• snoeball420_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

looking for a place to purchase a dancingdolphin plant

• snappyguy
    12 years ago

Try violetbarn.com or lyndonlyon.com. Look for the plants called 'columnea.' Both of these sites carry several varieties.