Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rest period for Streps or should they keep blooming?

Posted by judyj Z5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 19:48

Currently I have several streps that starting blooming over a month ago. Once they got too big to be under my lights, I moved them out. They still get good light, just not directed fluorescent light.

Three of them-Bristol's Xolo, Black Light and Spin Art-now have fading blooms and no more stalks coming up. Do I need to put them back under lights, or let them rest? Not quite sure what to do here.

Is it that the move from the fluorescent light isn't now giving them what they're used to? They were all raised from babies under that lighting situation.

If it is indeed the case, would I be better raising them in window light to get more consistent blooming?

Thanks for any insight!

Best,
Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rest period for Streps or should they keep blooming?

Thought I should add that I have a "Party Boy" strep also that I moved out at the same time. It's getting far less light than the other three, but it's got bloom stalks coming up like crazy.

Thanks again-
Best,
Judy

o

Judy, from what you are describing the light is adequate. There are two things which could explain this. One, if they have been blooming for a long period of time, they are likely just catching their breath. (Taking a short rest)

2nd, you say the plants are large. Look at the leaves which have been blooming. How many flower stalk stubs are there? On average streps will produce 6-7 stalks before stopping. Some varieties more but more than not 7 is the max. Streps bloom most profusely from newer growth so if your plant has many older leaves this maybe why. You could always cut a couple leaves back 1/3rd to spur new growth. That in turn will give more flowers.

Dave G.

o

Hi Dave, thanks so much for your response.

They were just too big for the lights they were under-too close to the lights.

I'll take a look at the leaves and report back to you. The quality of light may be different. If I remember correctly, Party Boy has more and longer leaves than the other two but I'm not sure (the others are at work). Tomorrow I'll check them out, and count.

Best,
Judy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here