Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Episcia problem

Posted by txcactus 7b Dallas/Fort Worth (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 20:46

Hi All,
I'm not sure what is wrong with my episcia but it looks unhealthy. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've had it about a year. It doesn't live outside. It was only out to have its picture taken. Thanks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Episcia problem

I've been told, by people who know what they're talking about, unlike me!, that you should re-start episcias every year or so, or whenever they get to looking straggly. Also, yours looks basically healthy, but like it could use a little more light. They need a little more light than AVs for instance. Hope that helps!

o

Go to Rob's Violet Barn website. There are instructions on episcia. They do look wonderful for awhile and then they get leggy...it's their nature, you need to restart the stolens.

o

• Posted by txcactus 7b Dallas/Fort Worth (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 11:13

Thanks to both of you for your input.

What a great site! They even sell potting soil for them! Thanks for sharing - I'll be making an order soon.

o

I buy a bag of African Violet potting soil, like peters - (nothing with the extra water holding pellets or extra time release fertilizer), and a bag of perlite. I add about 1/3 or so of perlite with 2/3 av potting soil and mix that. It is the same soil I use for my violets and it works fine with episcia.

tish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here