Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
happy Streptocarpus

Posted by winnjoe MTL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 22:37

I have a Streptocarpus that I bought 2 years ago and potted up once into a std 6". It is green and covered with flowers. It has entirely filled the pot, to the point that I can't get a finger in to feel the soil, and have to water from the bottom as the water rolls off the leaves. It seems happy. Do I just leave it there forever?
I read in a few sites about repotting. Is that necessary? Will the plant fall apart into smaller plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: happy Streptocarpus

Winnjoe, how long since the last repotting? A rule of thumb with Streps is usually to repot every six months but not more than a year. Streps seem to lIke being repotted. It encourages a spurt of new growth.

If you do repot don't worry, the plant will not fall apart into smaller pieces. I would however suggest you divide your plant into two to make room for it to grow in the 6" pot. Just clean your pot good put new soil and in no time it will be full again! Plant the division in another pot and enjoy it or you can share with someone else.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave. I potted it up once, about a year ago. Does repotting include cleaning soil off the roots, or trimming the roots (like say when an over-wintered Fuchsia)?

Joe

o

Yes Joe, I would do both. Over time soil / peat's ph will change. I would also scrub out the pot good so no accumulated salts from fertilizer will be present.

Personally, I take as much soil from the roots as I can. I will cut the roots back 1/3rd if they have filled the pot. From my experience I have not had any problems with plants going into shock or any setback. It seems to stimulate growth for me.

Dave

o

thanks, sounds reasonable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here