Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chrysothemis pulchella

Posted by Florazone9 z9bsTX (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 04 at 3:50

Well I have been reading some of the posts regarding this pretty plant and I must say they are very interesting. I have never seen this plant before up until 2 weeks ago when both my friend and I sipped a small cutting from a friend who received it after she had surgery. Both our cuttings are doing good, although I have been reading that it produces seeds and or tubers. Since mine is a cutting, anyone know how long before it produces a tuber? Thanks in advance. flora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chrysothemis pulchella

I guess I never timed it, and I think it only produces tubers sometimes. Don't know what 'sometimes' means actually, but I guess mine must 'cause it comes back from dormancy just fine. I've even grown it in the ground outside and had it come back, except for the year it didn't. It's not one of the ones that's supposed to be hardy, but it gets so big (and so beautiful) in the ground in our heat and humidity that I like to grow them that way. A few weeks ago I started a cutting to grow in the house for insurance; haven't decided yet if I'll be able to find space for the big one inside. I've been growing it for at least fifteen or twenty years I think, and I don't remember ever seeing seeds, tho' I don't know that I was looking for them particularly. The flowers are very pretty but fleeting, but the bright calyxes stay on for a long time. It doesn't like temperatures much below 60F, and really will only take them that low if they've been outside all summer as mine always are. Oh--they don't need to go dormant if you don't want them to, but they do need a lot of light. The best one I ever grew I think was in quite a bit more sun than I realized when I first planted it there, but it did mch better than various ones I'd planted in shadier spots.Great plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here