Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Where to buy Sinningia

bill_ri_z6b
14 years ago

I have been searching online and locally for a source for plants, tubers or leaves of these beauties (a.k.a. florists "Gloxinias") but so far no luck. Does anyone know of a source? I live in Rhode Island so any local place would be nice, but an online source would be fine.

Comments (14)

• mutantplantlover
    14 years ago

Check out the Gesneriad Society website below. Under "Resources" at the right is a set of link to excellent sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gesneriad Society

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MPL, thanks for the info but still not much luck. I did find one source from the list at the Gesneriad Society's page, but only a few choices. I may not have been clear in my first post, but I am looking for the big, bold florists' "Gloxinias" that were so popular about 20-30 year ago. You could buy them almost anywhere; most greenhouses and even the bigger market flower sections! It seems they aren't offered much anywhere nowadays. I used to see the large red or blue ones, both with a scalloped white edge. And some solid and doubles too.

• carol222
    14 years ago

You can get species and hybrids from the seed fund if you join the Gesneriad Society.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Bill-

Check with Logan Nursery - they have fantastic varieties.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Logan Nursery

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Irina,

Thanks! They do have a nice selection. Hard to believe it's been so difficult to find these things online!

Bill

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

I contacted this nursery by e-mail a couple of years ago and never heard back from them.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Eric -

I heard relatively recently from somebody who actually ordered from them and was very happy.

It doesn't work all the time I guess. Sorry.

Irina

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

Any time I hear florist glox, I think of the larger growing sinningias, if you are interested in the smaller growing ones, there is davesviolets. If you get the littlest ones, they don't go dormant often...at least that is my experience with some of them. Happy growing!

tish

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Tish -

I got 2 tubers from Convention - hybrid speciosas - crosses Christmas Morning (?) by Peridot's Darth Vader - they have these super double heavy bloom - red with white edge - looks like I need to stake each bud separately otherwise they will break the stem and turn the pot upside down -kinda way too much. Like a wedding cake.

One Sinningia speciosa I really enjoy is S. sp."Regina" - we saw one on the Convention as a foliage plant - but it actually has large dark blue single blooms.

Irina

• carol222
    14 years ago

Try the Charles Lawn hybrids. You won't be disappointed.
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Gesneriad Society seed fund list - Hybrids

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Don't know about your area .But my wife brought one home from Walmart.. Have since noted them in both Home Depot and Lowes. I'm an epiphyte freak myself but was surprized at how easy it has been to grow . Has huge purple with white edges has rebloomed 3 times for me.
    In my area they were in the "houseplants" section.
    I have so impressed thinking of getting some more lol gary

• irina_co
    14 years ago

The stinky part - they do not have names if they come from WM. Otherwise - why not.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Irina
    Good point!! Of course ,at least, here the box stores have tags that say " inch tropical" or"Wonderful house plant"lol This is even true on Broms and Orchids!!
    You can always ask a clerk.??LOL
    I bought my first because I needed a cheap gaudy present for
    valentines day!!lol gary

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Beware - they have hooks - whatever reason you buy them - you can get hooked.

I.