Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying plants locally

Posted by NinaM z5Oh (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 9:35

Does anyone know of any stores or greenhouses that sell streptocarpus plants locally. Although I live in Ohio I would be interested in knowing anyone that actually sells them in there store and not on line.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying plants locally

I don't know about a store, though someone else might. But there should be a sale by an AVSA-affiliated group in your area in the next few weeks, where they probably will sell some streps as well. Check the AVSA website for details. Good luck.

o

I sometimes think I should go into the Episcia business around here as I've not even seen the oldest and easiest to grow ones offered here anywhere for sale since I bought my cupreata Acajou almost twenty years ago. You'd think with all the choices even Lowe's seems to have in a numerous different types of "exotics" and tropicals they'd at least offer them once in a while, and I've not seen any Streptocarpus either in years here. I must say I've gotten somewhat used to having to order many things by mailorder from on-line sources, since they're just not available here, for the most part, but it would be nice not to have to pay those ever increasing shipping charges that can really increase the price of buying anything by mailorder.
I've gotten a bit off the topic as usual and I'm sorry I can't help with some "local" sources for your area, but it seems I might have to go out of my immediate area to find any different gesneriads.

o

I would suggest that you go the the Gesneriad Society website (www.aggs.org), go to the bottom of the Home page and click on "Local Chapters" to see if there is a contact close to you who could tell you about Shows and Sales coming up. This might be your best way to access gesneriad material.

Marilyn

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 05 at 15:06

Gesneriads have never caught on as commercial plants. Growers will try them but rarely do they keep going with them for more than a few years. You would think that streps would be one plant that would break out into commercial production. Sometimes they make a minor appearance but around here, at least, they rarely catch on. I think the main problem is that they don't transport well, and the flowers look bad as they age and fall off. The people who retail them, don't seem to understand how to take a minute or two to clean up the sales plants. Gesneriads are both delicate and tough at the same time. I hope that chiritas might make it as commercial plants someday.

Jon

o

Isen't the Glasshouse Works in Stewart, Ohio. I think they carry some gessies.

o

I have to confess I've had excellent sucess with Saintpaulias over the years and to a degree with the Episcias, but my streptocarpus were a dismal failure, You'd think the "culture" for growing them would be similar to that for African violets and Episcias, but perhaps they found my temperatures too warm for the winter?? I'd love to try many of the other varieties , but I'm still struggling with getting blooms on my Aeschynanthus, though it looks healthy most of the time. At present it has a seiours mite problem AGAIN!! But frequent spraying with "Safers" seems to quickly get those under control. It gets good light etc. but no flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here