Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting cuttings of hairy leaf columneas

Posted by Komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 10:52

I'm having trouble rooting cuttings of the fuzzier trailing columneas. I have no problem with the shinier leafed varieties. Does anyone have any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting cuttings of hairy leaf columneas

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 17:38

Can you give us some names?--if you know them. I have never noticed this, and am wondering if it is possible you have something other than columneas for either the shiny leafed ones or the hairy ones. Though, they do come in a range of hairiness from pretty smooth to somewhat fuzzed out. I find columneas root best if enclosed, whereas nematanthus and aeschynanthus will root uncovered in regular soil. For columneas I use my general rooting mix of perlite/vermiculite, enclosing the small pot in a ziplock bag. Then I get the best rooting when the bagged cuttings are placed on a light stand. A bright north window works too. But, cuttings will rot if not given good light. Tip cuttings of about three to six inches work best, but cuttings from lower down on young stems work well too. Check periodically and remove any rotted parts right away to prevent spread. You could go to the trouble of treating the cuttings with a fungicide as some professionals do, but I have always had good luck without it.

jon

o

• Posted by Komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 18:12

I bet light is it then. I stuck it in a terrarium with very low light. I'll try again with a bit more light. The one I am really trying to propagate is Lava Flow - red flowers streaked with yellow. Leaves are fuzzy for a columnea - not really really fuzzy. My favorite of the hybrids. I could give it the orchid treatment (Physan20) for the rotting issue too....

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 21, 04 at 14:39

Komi, it definitely sounds like a problem of too little light. Over the years I slowly figured it out. My light stand now is a sea of little cuttings and plants living in their ziplock environments. It doesn't look so great but I keep these myriad plants going when I don't have time or room to grow them on to big plants.

I have heard of 'Lava Flow' but never grew it. 'Julia' is a great hybrid with red flowers. It has somewhat hairly leaves too. I don't have it now, but remember it to be one of the prettiest columneas. Cuttings also root very well in long fiber sphagnum moss, but then you are confronted with the problem of separating the rooted cuts from the moss to pot on. So, I use perlite/vermiculite. It seems to promote much less rot than mixes with the above two plus peatmoss.

Jon

o

• Posted by Komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 21, 04 at 15:40

Thanks, Jon. The lava flow has buds right now and I'll post a pic when they bloom. (Assuming that what I saw on it in passing this morning was dust and not bugs.) It needs a trimming as the old growths defoliated when I let the temperatures drop last winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here