Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Sinn. speciosa as aphid magnet

korina
17 years ago

So I have this florists gloxinia, my first, and the first thing it did was die down and throw up a new growth. Which is covered with green aphids. I've sprayed it a number of times and they keep coming back.

How bad an idea would it be to cut off the growth and repot the tuber in fresh medium? I gotta get rid of the bug nests in the soil. Aphids do nest in the soil, don't they?

Korina

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Korina,

Do not burn the house just because of aphids.

I know you do not like chemicals, even Shultz neem oil spray.

Old recipe: collect 20 cigarette butts with some tobacco left in them, boil in a cup of water , strain, add a spoon of soap and spray them bugs 3 times week apart. Outside please.

Since tobacco is a poison - all smokers know it, aren't they - and somebody cigarette butts are not a clean substance - do everything in the gloves.

Just for you:

There are five elements: earth, air, fire, water and garlic. - Louis Diat

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Irina, love the quote. Thanks.

I guess I just need to *keep* spraying. I can kill the little monsters, but they keep coming back.

Thanks again.

Korina

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I fixed *that*. I used my new homemade all-purpose potion, and the leaves started dying. So I went ahead and lopped it off and potted down in new mix. We'll see how it goes. I'm not too worried; it's only a grocery store noid, just my first speciosa.

Korina

'They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is *mine*.' ~the Doctor

• robitaillenancy1
    17 years ago

Korina,

Aphids are large enough to put on those gloves and just squish them between fingers. That's what I do with roses in spring. I also dislodge them with a large spray of water.

You might be able to take the plant(s) to the sink, adjust to warm water and spray the blooms.

Insecticidal soap is a safe and effective way to control aphids. Hot Pepper Insect Repellant will keep them away as well. Maybe you could make up your own.

Beneficial insects can rid you of a large infestation, but if you have only a few plants this is unnecessary and costly.

Chemical solution: Spray UNDER THE LEAVES. If you feel you must use chemicals, (not recommended in this case) Malathion, Diazinon and pyrethrins are effective.

Nancy

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I was walking with my mother admiring her plants and generally talking gardening, and she saw some aphids on something and reached out automatically and squished them, and looked at her fingers and said to me 'now, that is the true meaning of a green thumb.'

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've had an outbreak of aphids before, and squishing plus alcolol spray did the trick. I think this Sinn. was a bit stressed, 'cause it was *covered* in the little green beasts, and they kept coming back. I've moved the plant and potted it down, so I hope it'll be happier when it comes back -- if it comes back.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Korina