Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Lipstick: Black Pagoda...not blooming

puglvr1
15 years ago

Anyone have one of these that has bloomed before? I've had it for almost 10 months, and its not bloomed...I have a Mona Lisa lipstick that is a little smaller and has bloomed for me in June. Not sure why this one won't bloom. It's under an oak tree, gets couple of early morning sun,mostly shade in the afternoon. It certainly looks to me like its mature enough to bloom. I fertilize it regularly, water when dry...

By the way does anyone know when I should bring this in when the cold nights start...I live in FL, just can't remember how cold these plants can take it outside in winter? Thanks...

Here's a pic

{{gwi:836688}}

Comments (18)

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Hi puglvr,

This is what I know, which isn't much LOL. It looks like your plant is an EA plant and I'm pretty sure it's Lipstick Longicaulis. The blooms on it are green. As far as how low a temp. it can withstand, I don't really know. I keep mine indoors. How low do your temps. get there in Florida? I don't know how to do links, so if you google it you'll learn more than what I am able to tell you. Believe me, the leaves are much prettier than the blooms.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

It possibly bloomed - but since the flowers are green outside and maroon inside - you didn't see them.

You have a beautiful specimen. Gorgeous.

Just do not freeze it. If you have freeze coming - take it home for the night.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeschynanthus longicaulis

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Cyber and Irina...Appreciate the info on the temps...lucky for me, we only have a couple nights of freeze warnings, and that's not till Jan-Feb.

Cyber, right now its still pretty mild, night temps are low to mid 70's. We should be getting a few upper 60's in the next week or two.

You're both probably right, I heard that the blooms were green, but I thought it would have some red/orange somewhere maybe on the tips or something? Thinking I would at least notice it, Apparently I was wrong, LOL.

But no biggie, I did buy the plant because I love the leaves, the flowers were only a bonus.

Thanks for the link also!

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hey Pug...your BP is the largest and prettiest I've ever seen..what size pot is it in???
    I have two lipsticks, both are in a west, bathroom window, get direct, afternoon sun..they flower when sunny..one other thing I notice is, they tend to bloom if you let soil dry out. There are times I don't water for 2 wks+, then after a drink, boom, flowers. Both are rootbound.
    I just got a BP a month or so at Walmart marked down to 3.00. The funny thing is, the tag read, Deer's Fern. That's the second time I've seen them at Walmart with the label reading Deer Fern, which is way off..lol.
    Pug, what do you feed that guy? Steroids? Wow..Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Toni,

It's in an 8" pot, its an EA plant from Lowe's. I usually let the soil dry out between waterings, except when we get an occasional thunderstorm and I'm not home to bring it in...Weird thing is my other lipstick bloomed a few months ago and it is smaller than this one, LOL...like cyber in her posts said, maybe I just never noticed it bloomed, since the color of the flower is the same as the plant...

I fertilize this with Dyna gro, also I made a batch of Beer Fertilizer that I got from the forum here, I use what ever fertilizer I have on hand for these guys...they don't seem to be fussy...

Great price you got on the BP at Walmart, $3.00, what an awesome price! No surprise on the mislabeling, seems to happen off and on around here too. Half the time, if I'm not familiar with a plant, I take it as face value...

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Aha - except it is not BP!

And it is not a fern.

It Aeschynanthus longicaulis or = marmoratus - (old name, but very descriptive).

Tropical Angel - is the company that grows really beautiful tropical plants - but they are so mislabeled, you wouldn't believe. And I do not think it is Lowe's people who did it. I looked at their website - and even there it is off.

I believe it is preferrable to know the name. But this specimen is truly gorgeous - and it is the lucky break that it is easily identified species, not the noname hybrid. It is kind of sad to get something for cheap - and then never know if it is a cat or a dog, so to speak.

Keep an eye on the flowers - they are not showy - but they are interesting and pretty in their own right.

Irina the purist - just didn't sleep well last night and it shows.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, that was weird, I posted a message here yesterday, but yet I don't see it...very twilight zoney...LOL

Irina, thank you for re-explaining that to me, originally when I went to the link you provided I didn't notice that this one is the parent plant to Blk. Pagoda? Hope I got that right?...only noticed it the second time I went to it. Either way, I really like the original BLk. Pagoda a lot more, now I will have to find that also, LOL.

Thanks again!

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Pug Lover-

yes- I checked - and Black Pagoda is a hybrid between Aeschynanthus longicaulis - and A. speciosus. Speciosus has bright flowers and your A. longicaulis- stunning foliage. So BP inherited interesting leaves and bright flowers, even the leaves have less pronounced veining, and the flowers seem smaller.

I wouldn't go to Lowe's for Black Pagoda. You can order a starter from Paul Sorano - he is the owner of the greenhouse I am giving the link to.

Another stunning one from his list - is A.x-splendidus - this one is gorgeous too. If you decide to order - do not wait too long - they do not ship in winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Irina,

Thanks for that link. A.x-splendidus blooms are to die for!! I absolutely love that color, I will definitely put that one on my wish list!! Thanks again...

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Pug, I'm confused..lol..which Aeschynanthus, if that's what is is, do you have? Also, which do you want from LL?
    I haven't any idea which Aeschynanthus I bought at Walmart..its colors are vivid...deep purple and green. I should snap a pic, maybe someone can ID..hmm.
    So do Black Pagoda's have small or large flowers? I had one years ago, but it never bloomed. Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Toni, If you see this can you go to the C&S forum on your post..."Jade (Crassula) Tree", potting" to try and ID my bug on some of my Jade leaves? treatment for it too? Thanks...

Well, when I bought the plant (Pic above)it was labeled Black Pagoda, but according to the article above from Irina, the plant that I have is actually the parent to the "Black Pagoda". Acc. to the article mine is actually called Aeschynanthus longicaulis 'Red Herring'...Black Pagoda actually has a lot darker leaves and red flowers. Mine has green flowers...believe me I am so confused myself...

The one that I want from LL is the"Aeschynanthus xSplendidus, go to the link below I posted a picture, it is sooo pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeschynanthus .x-splendidus

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to post an update...My Lipstick plant finally bloomed for the first time. You guys are absolutely correct, the blooms are almost invisible due its very subtle color...blends right in with the rest of the plant. But I am sure this is the very first time its bloomed for me...I am one of those that check my plants every other day, LOL...

Does it mean this plant is a winter bloomer? Or is this a fluke, or better yet I hope it blooms more than once a year!

Here's a couple of pictures...thanks for looking!

{{gwi:836690}}

{{gwi:836692}}

• irina_co
    15 years ago

i think it is very interesting flower - not showy - but cute.

Thank you for posting the pic. And the plant itself - is to die for!

Irina

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Irina :o)

You're right, the flowers are very "ordinary", but it is cute in its own way. I guess since the foliage is very attractive there was no reason for mother nature to make the flowers stand out! I actually would have been okay had it not bloom, since the I just love the leaves, but it was a nice bonus!

Thanks again,

• gregsytch
    15 years ago

I grow many gessies in New Port Richey (just north of Tarpon Springs) and lipsticks can tolerate upper 30's if it is not sudden. As winter goes by, middle 30's become ok. I just put my huge baskets on the ground in a protected spot as the ground is warm. 'Black Pagoda' begins blooming here in fall, and lasts thru spring. Feed with a bloom food in late summer (Aug). Nematanthus are hardier, taking upper 20's without damage (*I know*). Chiritas are fine to freezing, and again, I place them on the ground - no problem during last year's 29F. Greg Sytch

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great info on the plants Greg...I actually brought them in for the last 3 nights. I didn't know they can take upper 30's and didn't want to chance it. Good to know!

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

This is quite an old post . . . this may get lost.

When you posted a link to this forum I just looked at the pic you added, I didn't go to the link of LL's greenhouse.

Looks as tho we have two different plants. I have the one that blooms yellow flowers w/red tips, called *Black Pagoda LLG*. The foliage on mine looks different than yours as well. But that may be bc you grow yours outside. Mine isn't as compact, it has much longer stems with less leaves on each stem.

Other info I read said they bloom in spring and summer, and depending on the light they have been known to bloom in the winter as well. Mine bloomed a few weeks ago and there is still 4 buds yet to open.

Also, I noticed in the photo the leaves don't have a lot of the maroon veining, which makes sense as it blooms on new growth.

That is one beautiful plant you have, you're doing a great job. It's gorgeous. Thanks again for the help.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Maidin, thanks for the kind comments on my plant.

You're right, right after I read the link that Irina posted on LL greenhouse, I was a little confused also to the name of my plant, lol...Black Pagoda was the label it came with when I bought the plant. But obviously after reading that, it is not the correct ID...oh well, I still like the plant regardless. There are so many different and pretty ones out there, but we only get the "usual" ones in our big box stores and nursery, never the "special" and "unusual" ones.

Your plant sounds really nice also...good luck!

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6