Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halpcl

Pearcea

halpcl
16 years ago

I would like to have any information anyone has on this gesneriad genus, especially growth methods and conditions. The plants I have tried have proved very challenging, unlike so many other gesneriads.

Comments (3)

• vtstar
    16 years ago

I got one on ebay about a month ago. The soil is sort of on the sandy & gritty side for good drainage. They suggested keeping it in a covered aquariam or similar container. With it being very warm and humid here for the last month I did not do that right away. Now it's looking a little stressed out, it is currently in a container. I have misted it and keeping my fingers crossed that I have not hurt it too much.
    Here is the actual care that was listed on the item (A charmingly attractive oddity. This plant, a Gensneriad, develops from a rhizomatous and spreading root structure. The foliage is attractively colored in red and black-green and the flowers are little "balloons" of red-orange. It performs well in shallow, wide containers of humusy, free-draining potting soil. It seems to prefer warmth and does best if kept above 60-65F. Even so, this plant may rest a little in the winter. Does best in humid conditions and makes a perfect plant for a large terrarium) Hope this helps.

• calla_lady
    16 years ago

I've grown Pearcea for few years and have found that they grow very nice in a large brandy snifter (with a clear glass saucer on top) or terrarium as Vtstar wrote. If you plant it in an terrarium you will need to keep an eye on it as once it is happy it will quickly scramble over anything else in it's path. I am looking at a little pot here on my desk that has begun to grow out the side drainage holes in the pot that the cutting was started in in the spring (currently living in a ziploc bag) It can be a very vigorous plant!

Through the years I have tried growing the cuttings in various medias from a standard potting mix with extra perlite mixed in (limited success) to straight long fibered sphagnum. I've had the best results with the sphagnum.

Because they are in an enclosed environment I rarely water, usually waiting until they are getting dry to water again. I have found that these can recover from a pretty good wilt - though not recommended :~).

My best guess on what makes these challenging (I've killed a few too experimenting) is too dense of a potting mix, not enough humidity and the biggie - over-watering.

Good luck and show no fear! :~) Alicia

• vtstar
    16 years ago

For anyone who may be interested there are currently 2 of these plants for sale on EBAY. They both have 2 days left on them, this seller seems to be posting several a week at the moment, the starting price is very reasonable.