Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Baby Streps: Need a Specific Answer to Water Q

treehugger101
9 years ago

I have 4 new baby streps. I have read, " Let them get on the dry side" and "Don't overwater" and similar information. But for those of you who know the size pots sent from Rob and Lyndon's, how often do I water? I can't feel the soil because my big fingers can barely touch the soil in these lilliputian pots much less poke my finger in to see if it feels dry. So do you think once a week? Once a month? Can someone please give me a starting point? They are on a table in front of an East Window. I have succulents there which are watered once a week and they do fine. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Good question, I've been trying to find out about the watering needs of baby streps myself.

• judyj
    9 years ago

Hi TH,
    The way most of us do this is to feel the pot's weight. If it's got a little heft, you're fine. If it feels light as a feather, it likely needs water.

You can set the little pots in warmish (at least room temperature) water and let them soak up as much as they need-but no longer than 15 minutes or so.

If they don't seem to soak any up, check under the bottoms of the little cups and ensure the hole is completely pierced through.

Once you've watered them once, you'll feel the difference in the weight.

There's no set schedule for watering-that comes with time and understanding of your own environment and potting mix. After a couple weeks, you'll have a better feel for how often they'll need watering!

And, FYI, I have read that re-potting them often (even as often as every two weeks) when they're babies will speed up growth. I have found that to be true, but haven't conducted any true experiments per se! You can keep them in the same pot size-just adding fresh soil seems to really spark their growth.

Welcome to the world of streps!

Best,
    Judy

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I lift AND look at the soil to see how dry/wet it is. In case my hefting is off...some days you're stronger than others ;)
    At last need, water as you notice leaves becoming less turgid or even limp (though I hate to see them go that far).

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Judy and DB. Do you leave the babies in the tiny pots they come in? I have Dyna-Gro for fertilizer and Lyndon's potting soil for streps. I have 3 and 4" pots, too. I'm so excited to see the little ones bloom!

• judyj
    9 years ago

Hi TH,
    Myself, I leave them in the pots they come in for quite some time, until the leaves are just too big to handle the little pots. Takes about 6 weeks for me. The soil is refreshed from time to time as mentioned above.

Generally then I pot them up into one size bigger-those pots are only about 1/4 inch wider. That's about the time they start putting out buds/nubs to bloom.

This usually only lasts a couple of weeks, depending on the growth rate. Currently all of my older (older than four months) streps are in 3-inch azalea pots. They're a bit shallower than normal 3-inch pots.

At some point, the larger plants in the three-inch pots will get too big for them, but I'm guessing at least several months will go by until that happens!

Best,
    Judy

• User
    9 years ago

Hi TH, here is an alternative. Sharpen a pencil and stick it in the soil about 1". If the pencil or soil clinging to the pencil is damp then do not water. If the pencil is dry, reinsert in another area of the pot a little deeper. If it is still dry then water. You do not want to overwater which is critical. Streps will rebound from being dry but not from overwatering.

Rob uses vermiculite in his mix which helps retain water. It may take a little longer to dry but it really depends on your conditions.

Dave G.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!