Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Wanted: Crystal Ice Strep

treehugger101
9 years ago

Does anyone have one that would be willing to share a leaf or know where I can get this? Both Rob and Lyndon's do not carry it though it is on Lyndon's website. I just fell in love with the white with blue/purple stripes in the center. If you know of any other small, very fragrant streps, please chime in. Fragrant, compact streps are hard to find!

Thanks,

Terri

Comments (16)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

If noone chimes in...you could email Lyndon Lyon and ask if they would sell a leaf (lol)...never hurts to ask, or when they expect to offer it.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did. Paul said they no longer carry this plant. I am so frustrated. It has been months now. Someone in the US must have this plant.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, from reading...you could contact Dibley's and ask them who in the US is licensed to propagate it ?

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestion, db. I have done so. Hopefully I will hear back from them with something positive. You know, as a gardening addict inside and out, it is so frustrating that the US has nothing compared to UK availability. For example, wallflowers and parma violets are so hard to get here. We need a gardening show that is really well done in the US modeled after Gardener's World. Maybe that would boost growers and us gardeners would have more of a selection. What do you think?

Thanks,

Terri

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, I would have to say that for my climate, wallflowers and parma violets are poor choices.

But I do know the apparent issues of availability of European cultivars in the US. I just (July) bought some Ukrainian streptocarpus cvs from an Ebay seller, because there is no (or not yet) American nurseryman who has them propagated for sale.

I've heard the same in many other genus, like Hellebores, and bulbous plants.

I know the red tape is to prevent diseases and insects from entering from abroad...but it's not (imo) the small importer that's likely to import a pest. It's big business and we get everything there anyway (how many insects and pests have been successfully imported....lol?).

Recently, I attended a plant related symposium, where a speaker said perhaps the term native has lost it's meaning and we just say we have a global ecosystem. I'm not quite ready for that..maybe..but I do see his point.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wallflowers and Parma violets were just an example. I could write you a list. LOL! I don't think anyone on this forum is growing fragrant streps. I have started several threads about this and while a few were kind enough to respond, it seems fragrance is of little interest. I can't understand it.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I kinda sorta thought Judyj might have at least one fragrant strep...she'll check in later today.
    Myself, I have allergies, and fragrances aren't usually that welcome in an enclosed space.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DB I have allergies, too. I have an asthma attack if I am within 10 feet of chemical "fragrances" like yankee candles or purchased potpourri. I figured out that it was chemical fragrances I was actually allergic to. But flowers and pure essential oils are fine. Just an idea...

• judyj
    9 years ago

Hi Folks!
    I posted on Terri's other post on the fragrant streps! :-)

Terri, those Crystal Ice Streps are quite nice-multiple blooms cascading! You might also check Gary's website: http://garys-out-of-africa.com/

He has some nice blue and white streps!

Best,
    Judy

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judy,m Just checked Gary's site. He has three fragrant streps. One is too large for me. I bought two Smelly Cat and Sixth Scents. Thanks!!!

• judyj
    9 years ago

Terri,
    Which one is too large for you? I'll want it myself! :-)))))
    Best,
    Judy

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

King of Kings is too large for me.

• paul_
    9 years ago

Too bad there is no indication of mature plant size on Gary's site. (At least none I could find.) Does have quite the huge Strep selection.

• judyj
    9 years ago

Sometimes they give a few hints, like "Large Flowering" etc. I always hope that means they'll be large!

Terri, I ordered Cynamon, King of Kings, Smelly Cat and one non-scented one (cuz it's gorgeous!)-Wendy's Niagara Falls. Also noted no substitutes please, just call me and we'll work it out.

I'm still bidding on two on Ebay, but someone's playing bidding wars so I may not get them.
    Best,
    Judy

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judy, Cynamon does not say it is fragrant. Did you see other information on this? I just added Bristol's Psychedelic Sun! Wow, fragrant streps are hard to find!

• judyj
    9 years ago

You're correct-Guess Cynamon is one of the others I thought was beautiful! No it's not listed as fragrant. My frame of mind was in two places!

However, from Ebay I've gotten Beloved also, and it is supposed to be fragrant. We''ll see how it goes. Haven't heard from Gary at all as to when he's shipping.

Best,
    Judy