Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenzzz_gw

Episcia Leaf

greenzzz
12 years ago

Just got from Ebay lovely Episcia Ruby Red Dress (yes,the shipping was outrageous!)There is one large leaf that fell

off the plant and I was wondering if there is a way to propagate it like an AV or Strep leaf.It has a long healthy stalk.Thanks....Sue

Comments (9)

• snappyguy
    12 years ago

Never tried it personally but I read somewhere that it does work.

Mark

• greenzzz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input,Snappyguy....The leaf is in water but soon I'll root it and watch....

• greenzzz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input,Snappyguy....The leaf is in water but soon I'll root it and watch....

• irina_co
    12 years ago

The chance it will make it is not very high, you better treat your own plant right - and you will have oodles of stolons to root in a month or so.

I would try to root it in a pure vermiculite and keep it covered.

Yes - the shipment is not cheap - that's why you want to order several plants from the same vendor to offset the cost - but episcias are tender = so they need to go first class to minimize the damage.

I think you got yourself a very good one.

Irina

• greenzzz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input,Irina...I had lovely Episcias few years ago but lost them due to ignorance about it's culture...This time around trying to follow all instructions because I can't get enough of these beauties...raising Ruby Red Dress,Chocolate Soldier Pink Acajou and Blue Nile....Yes, they are all producing stolons and as an insurance I have already rooted few...Sue

• js_plants
    10 years ago

I just bought some and whats the best ay to care for them I was told like a A.V. whats your secret?
    Thanks

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

Yes, you can root it just like you would an AV leaf. I saved an almost dead Jim's Canadian Sunset episcia that way. I put the leaf in my AV mix that was dampened and put it in a plastic bag. I made sure it did not dry out but wasn't soggy wet. I kept a close eye on it and now have a beautiful plant a few months later. I am sort of new to episcias, but have learned that they are amazing survivors.

• tiarella
    10 years ago

I think I have an episcia or possibly a gloxinia plant I received from a friend. It was a cutting and she isn't sure exactly what she has. It looks like a begonia leaf, big juicy bronze leaves that look crunchy. It rooted very quickly and filled a medium size pot in about 6 weeks. The amazing part is that while it was rooting it threw out these two toned flowers too. They have orange calyxes the in the center with a yellow urn shaped flower with red stripes. Anyone got a clue? what this plant is?

• irina_co
    10 years ago

tiarella -

pic-pic-pic!!!

If you have trouble posting - send me your pic - I have my email tied to gardenweb - I will shrink it and post it for you.

Irina

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals