Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Episcia Leaf

Posted by greenzzz (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 15:59

Just got from Ebay lovely Episcia Ruby Red Dress (yes,the shipping was outrageous!)There is one large leaf that fell
off the plant and I was wondering if there is a way to propagate it like an AV or Strep leaf.It has a long healthy stalk.Thanks....Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Episcia Leaf

Never tried it personally but I read somewhere that it does work.

Mark

o

Thanks for the input,Snappyguy....The leaf is in water but soon I'll root it and watch....

o

Thanks for the input,Snappyguy....The leaf is in water but soon I'll root it and watch....

o

The chance it will make it is not very high, you better treat your own plant right - and you will have oodles of stolons to root in a month or so.

I would try to root it in a pure vermiculite and keep it covered.

Yes - the shipment is not cheap - that's why you want to order several plants from the same vendor to offset the cost - but episcias are tender = so they need to go first class to minimize the damage.

I think you got yourself a very good one.

Irina

o

Thanks for the input,Irina...I had lovely Episcias few years ago but lost them due to ignorance about it's culture...This time around trying to follow all instructions because I can't get enough of these beauties...raising Ruby Red Dress,Chocolate Soldier Pink Acajou and Blue Nile....Yes, they are all producing stolons and as an insurance I have already rooted few...Sue

o

I just bought some and whats the best ay to care for them I was told like a A.V. whats your secret?
Thanks

o

Yes, you can root it just like you would an AV leaf. I saved an almost dead Jim's Canadian Sunset episcia that way. I put the leaf in my AV mix that was dampened and put it in a plastic bag. I made sure it did not dry out but wasn't soggy wet. I kept a close eye on it and now have a beautiful plant a few months later. I am sort of new to episcias, but have learned that they are amazing survivors.

o

I think I have an episcia or possibly a gloxinia plant I received from a friend. It was a cutting and she isn't sure exactly what she has. It looks like a begonia leaf, big juicy bronze leaves that look crunchy. It rooted very quickly and filled a medium size pot in about 6 weeks. The amazing part is that while it was rooting it threw out these two toned flowers too. They have orange calyxes the in the center with a yellow urn shaped flower with red stripes. Anyone got a clue? what this plant is?

o

tiarella -

pic-pic-pic!!!

If you have trouble posting - send me your pic - I have my email tied to gardenweb - I will shrink it and post it for you.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here