Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this hybrid relative called?

Posted by tacapollo N/A (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 16:33

I have a houseplant that I bought several years ago, but have since lost the tag. I remember it is a relative of the African Violet and Cape Primrose. It is a hybrid of this relative that grows in the wild on the plains of central Africa.
My plant resembles the African Violet only in the fuzzy leaves. The leaves on this plant are smaller and saw toothed in comparrison.
Unlike the A. Violet, this plant grows on long stems (about 1 and 1/2 foot tall, with leaves growing at intervals along the stems(green with some purplish tinges). It flowers on the tips with some small, pink bell-shaped flowers (about 1/2 inch long-reminds me in shape and size of the blue-bell plant).
My plant has become 'leggy' and I was wondering if and how I might be able to prune it and start the cuttings (in water?) and, above all, I was wondering if anyone could ID the name of this plant.
Many thanks for any help!

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this hybrid relative called?

• Posted by komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 18:23

I'm not sure, as the only genera I know of from Africa are saintpaulia and streptocarpus. You might try looking through http://www.gesneriads.ca/genus.htm
and http://persoon.si.edu/gesneriaceae/index.htm.

o

Terry -

you need to post a photo.

I agree with Komi - it is either not from Africa, or not a gesneriad at all.

Pic-pic-pic!!!

I.

o

As everyone has already said,really hard to tell without a picture, but could it be streptocarpella?

o

I was thinking about it- but the description of the flowers doesn't sound like it. Streptocarpella flowers are not bell shaped - and I didnt hear about any pink ones - they are either blue- purplish blue or white. But - may be something new came up.

I found a nice pic on the web - here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Streptocarpella saxorum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here