Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No streps in stores here in Fresno, CA

Posted by Cabarb Z 9- Fresno, CA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 04 at 17:40

I am wondering why it's so hard to find streps in gardening stores, nurseries, - at least here in Fresno, CA. You can always find AV, but no streps. They are just so beautiful.... My 10 little babies (from Rob's Violet) are doing just fine. I keep checking on them every couple hours to make sure they haven't bloomed! hahaha...that will be awhile I think! Maybe I should open a Strep store here in Fresno, you think??
Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No streps in stores here in Fresno, CA

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 30, 04 at 14:12

The reason why you can't find streps in stores in Fresno is that none of the wholesale growers are producing streps now. They try them from time to time and we sometimes get some nice ones, but streps have a problem that makes them more difficult to commercialize--they are delicate and do not ship well. Also, their flowers wilt or break or fall off and the plants need to be groomed to sell. It is true that they are spectacular with a little effort, but we are talking about huge growers who just don't have the skilled labor to get the plants from the greenhouses, to the stores in condition to sell easily. Its not that bad though--I am overstating the problem. Growers do streps from time to time. I recently heard that one of the big growers was looking for strep propagations to grow on in mass. They apparently didn't have anyone who could propagate them but wanted to buy small started "plugs" to grow on. So, there is interest.

The biggest wholesale grower, Nurserymen's Exchange in Half Moon Bay once grew streps with their own labels, calling them "Victorian Violets". That lasted about a year or two before they gave up.

I always look to see if streps are in the stores but I haven't seen them in quite a while. I am hoping that one of our newer growers like Annies Annuals will take them up.

Jon

o

If you keep asking every nursery you go into for streps maybe the owners will think about buying a few.

There is a new operation in Quebec City which buys tissue culture streps mostly from Dibley's. They sale wholesale so you have to buy in quantity and the postage will be enormous.

www.info@primfleurs.com

Nancy

o

What happened to the streps from Oglevee?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here