Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbunch_gw

Kohleria bogotensis

pbunch
15 years ago

I have a Kohleria bogotensis that is struggeling along but has finally put up a couple of new shoots.

Does anyone have an optimal temperature range for this species?

Also what is optimal for temperatures? I can grow it in either an intermediate tropical or cool tropical environment.

Thanks,

Phil Bunch

Comments (10)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Phil-

the best person to answer your question would be johnnieb, you can search on his posts on this forum and try to send him an email.

I grew his hybrid Silver Feather which has K. bogotensis listed as a parent - and it grew really nicely at the room temperature with added humidity and 4 fluorescent tubes for light.

My guess will be it should grow better in intermediate conditions provided may be 1000-1500 foot-candles of light, loose soil and constant watering with 1/4 of teaspoon fertilizer. It is just general for most kohlerias.

My best

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: a beauty

• pbunch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Irina

Thanks. I found a monograph on Kholeria and it lists this species as being from fairly low elevations. I got caught by the name which suggests it might have been collected from around Bogota. That area is distinctly cool being at around 9,000 feet.

I think I may to move it to a somewhat more shaded location as it is in full sun most of the day.

I am growing it in a rice hull/coir (1:1) mix and it seems to be good with that.

Phil Bunch
    Medellin, Colombia

• pbunch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That Kohleria bogotensis has really taken off. I found a good fertilizer similar to Mirical-Gro at the botanic gardens. It has a significant portion of its N content as nitrate. I think that helps as the urea probably gets washed out of the pot before it coverts to a useable form. We have been getting a fair amount of rain.

Another possiable factor is the we are starting our major rainy season now and this species may be adapted to growing during this period. It is sending up new shoots from rhizomes. There are about 5 or 6 and all are growing rapidly.

Phil
    Medellin, Colombia

• pbunch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow. This thing is growing very rapidly and is making a beautiful plant. Everyone who sees it likes it a lot and it has not started to bloom yet.

Does any one know if it is a selfer? I'd like to get some seed to offer for exchange.

Phil
    Medellin, Colombia

• mutantplantlover
    15 years ago

Yes, it is a species so it should reproduce true, with some minor variations. The rhizomes can also be used to share with others.

• pbunch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking in terms of self pollinating. If I could find another specimen I know is from a different seed grown plant I would use the two for crossing. I'm going to try to self the one I have whe it blooms. If seeds result I'll offer them up.

Phil
    Medellin

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Phil,
    I'm posting here since you do not have email set up on your page. This post popped up first when I did a search for you(you haven't started a thread on the Bean forum only replied on threads.) I want to ask you about Cargamanto beans.
    Remy

• costaricafinca
    15 years ago

Phil, I know this is an old posting, but I have been trying to find a photo of a Kohleria bogotensis seed pod. I have been growing them since I found one growing wild where we used to live in a different area of Costa Rica, 8 years ago. In all of this time, I have never found any seeds although I I have propagated lots of new ones from Rhizomes and leaves.
    If anyone else has a photo, I would appreciate your help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

I would suggest checking the flowers for pollen. Kohleria bogotensis is not native to Costa Rica and any such plants there are probably hybrids. Poor seed production would certainly suggest this. Many such plants do not produce any pollen at all, and thus cannot produce seeds unless there is another Kohleria species growing nearby.

• pbunch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

costaricafinca:

Sorry to respond so late! I have some seed pods ripening up (I hope) and will see what I can do about making an image of them. These are the result of a cross with an unidentified Kohleria from near our finca at about 2400 meters. It looks like the cross took but the jury is still out.

Phil