Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus Sprouting from Roots

Posted by dave_in_virginia z7a VA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 19:33

About 15 months ago, I put down several leaf sections of Dibley's Hannah in a peat/perlite mix in a 4" square pot. When 4-5 plantlets appeared and the leaf sections rotted away, I left all to grow on together. This pot has now been blooming for many months and was looking like it was overdue for some TLC. In removing the plant mass from the pot, I found a number of green "buds" on some of the roots near the bottom of the pot, and a 1" long leaflet trying to surface in one corner of the pot. Given that this is my only strep, I want to ask more experienced growers how common these root sprouts are. I have read nothing of this in the course of a fair amount of reading on strep culture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus Sprouting from Roots

It happens. Not to all varieties, but I see these root suckers quite often.
Dibleys used S.kentaniensis in their hybridization to keep the size of the plant compact and extend the blooming season. Crystal series are quite close to S.kentaniensis. Do not know about "Hannah" for sure - but being close to the species probably increases the ability to propagate in this manner. I would say - the same varieties that create lots of baskets - new plantets on the flower stalks also produce root suckers.

I.

o

Thanks, Irina. I recently added eleven new streps purchased from Dennis Miller to my "collection of one" so have an even dozen. As these grow and bloom, you can expect more questions from me.

o

Dave,

As Irina said it does happen. This is a plant of Dale Marten's Texas Hot Chili which was doing the same thing when I went to repot her a little while ago.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: strep growing from root

o

I have Nerys, which is a Dibley's variety, and it does this as well. I have even had plantlets sprout from the drain holes in a pot of Nerys. No other varieties I have do this.

Karen

o

Great thread. I have several from Dennis Miller and they are all great plants and have bloomed continually. I also have Texas Hot Chili and Nerys, so was glad to see the input on those.
Chris, thanks for that great picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here