Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Goldfish plant?

larry_b
19 years ago

Hi,

I have a question about the term Goldfish plant. Lately, I have seen the name Goldfish plant to refer to Columneas. This confuses me because for several years I would see Nemathanthus as being refered to as Goldfish plants. Personally, I think that Nemathanthus blooms look more like a goldfish than Columnea blooms. Can anyone clear this up for me

Larry

Comments (7)

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I think it's a sort-of catch-all name for people who don't know there's columneas and aesschynanthus and nematanthus and call 'em all lipstick plants or goldfish plants. I have a nematanthus that doesn't look anything like a goldfish, but I can see how many of them kind of do. Actually, I think they look more like puffer-fish! Real names are best if you can find them, but sometimes that's difficult.
    Nancy

• jon_d
    19 years ago

John Boggan and I have a disagreement about this. He first learned goldfish for columneas and I have always "known" it was the term for nematanthus. John's no slouch and knows his plants so I guess this term has been used for both for a long time. But somewhere in my dim memory I read that in the 5o's or 60's an English botanist proposed a common name for the plants we now know as nematanthus. His suggestion was "Globe Fish Plant". I have no idea what a globe fish is but my theory is that "globe fish" was corrupted into "goldfish". Anyway, I use it for nematanthus, but prefer to use the latin name.

My big flowered varieties hang on long thread-like pedicels with a 2" flower having a long narrow mouth that faces down. To me they look like little yellow and orange whales,swimming through the air collecting plankton. I have a pink x codonatanthus that reminds me of a fancy guppy. So there is definitely a theme going on with these plants.

By the way, an old name for Nematanthus wettsteinii is "Candy Corn Plant" for the orange and yellow flower. Nematanthus means "thread flower" referring to the long pedicels on certain species. Originally the species that had flowers on very short pedicels were in the genus hypocyrta, but that genus was combined into nematanthus, in part because fertile hybrids were made between the two. The hypocyrtas include wettsteinii and gregarius, while the long pediceled types are ones like brasiliensis (5" long pedicel) and fritchii which I believe has the longest pedicel at about 6-7".

Anyway, nematanthus is one of my favorite genera.

Jon

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Its so true--now we are seeing names like "Lipstick Plant" stuck on all the other vining gesneriads. Its infuriating. I mean, the name "lipstick" refers to the way the flowers on some aeschynanthus come out of a tube like calyx and look remarkably like the way lipstick comes out of a tube. Except that nowadays, the lipstick is apt to be flaming hot pink instead of traditional red, while the plant of the same name is woefully behind the times (still red).

While on the subject of common names. Another thing that is happening is that commercial growers are making up new catchy names to sell plants. So, we are being inundated with short term attempts to rename or put a salesman's touch on a plant formerly happy with just a botanical name. At one time a big grower out here was marketing streps as "Victorian Violets". Then there is "Dancing Dolphins", used for both columnea and streptocarpella.

Worst of all, is when a commercial grower puts a new name on a named hybrid or culitvar. That is just criminal. I can only think of one example offhand and that is probably because the grower didn't know the right name--on the East Coast some big grower has been marketing Nematanthus 'Black Magic' as "N. Chocolate Soldier".

Jon (again)

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I came across an example of where one gesnariad was being referred to as the name of another gesnariad. I was in Home Depot about 10 years ago and there was a nice hanging plant that was called a lipstick plant. Well, it was a NOID columnea. It was a really nice one with almost 4 in. scarlet blooms on it. I normally don't buy NOID plants, because I prefer knowing the name of them, but this one was so spectacular that I just couldn't resist and wound up buying it.

The next experience that I had where someone just made up a name involved a plant that I saw at one of my favorite nurseries. It was called a streptocarpus "Cape Violet". It really was a NOID streptocarpella. It is really a shame because somewhere up the line of propagation and distribution somebody knew exactly what this plant was. Because of ignorance, compliancy or both the exact variety name of this plant has been lost. I know that the majority of people who buy a plant from a grocery store, Home Depot, or even this nursery buy plants because they like how they look. Unfortunately, there are a few people who find it important to know exactly what the plant that they just bought is called. It is a real shame that these people (customers) canÂt be accommodated in stores such as these.

Speaking of streptocarpella. I am still a little confused about whether a streptocarpella is also the same as a "nodding violet". I have done several google searches and have never been able to get a nice enough picture to be absolutely sure that they are the same thing. I am 95% sure, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Larry

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

That's a new one to me, Larry--nodding violet. I bet you're right. Sometimes I can see why people use common names, and sometimes I even use them myself when they fit or when the people I'm talking to just don't want to have anything to do with the botanical names--I don't have a breakdown over 'lipstick plant' when it's for one of the ones that really look like a lipstick being slowly rolled out of the tube for instance, but I don't think it's 'unfortunate' at all that some of us like to know the correct name. It can save you or cost you money even. For instance, I have more than once ordered differently named plants and gotten the same thing, not necessarily any of them being what I wanted. My favorite was the time I saw a plant in someone's yard (not a gesneriad so I won't name it!) and liked it very much. The owner didn't know its name but gave me what she thought was the common name. I ordered it after doing some research, four different times. I got two different plants, and none of them were the plant I wanted. (Finally may have found it this spring.) When you want a particular plant and get something different it's very disappointing, and even if you like what you got you still don't have the one you wanted. Sort of like Episcia 'Chocolate Soldier'. I'd like to get the real one, which I grew many years ago. The ones I've seen available are not the real thing. Here's for learning names and getting nurseries to do the same!
    Nancy

• karam8672
    17 years ago

I only own one columnea...and it was labeled as a lipstick plant (Exotic Angel tag, bought at Home Depot). I didn't identify it as a columnea until it bloomed recently and I did some research.

Karamy

PS- IMO, ne-whatevers can have the name goldfish plant...columnea is a lovely name, and not difficult to pronounce.

• holly_c
    17 years ago

I am definitely not a botanist but this improper naming drives me nuts too. I have been through the whole Chocolate Soldier fiasco with an ebay seller. Nematanthus are one of my very favorite things. (And, I just got a cutting of Champagne Jam (thanks for the ID Jon) and WOW). Anyway, I don't understand the whole goldfish confusion. Columneas look like flying fish...not goldfish so why????

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists