Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columnia Golden Regalia

Posted by justnix Auckland, New Zealan (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 21:39

Hi, I'm new here and I have a hanging basket plant that has the name Columnia Golden regalia. I've searched the net and I can't find anything on how to look after it.

It has been hanging in my west bathroom/toilet window that gets sun in the late afternoon. It's bloomed once and never again and I think I've had for over a year and a half now.

It has one trailing stem of leaves with little ones branching off of it at the bottom now.

Can I cut it back and replant or what.... I really have no clue to gardening so any help would be appreciated.

ALso, I'm in AUckland New Zealand, where it's humid in summer and can go down to 1*C at night during the winter. Right now we have just hit spring and it's 14*C around midday. Once I figure out how to load a photo I will post it here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columnia Golden Regalia

Hello JustNix -

Yes - you can trim too long stems off. It will get bushier. You can stick 3-4 inch tip cuttings into the pot with soil and cover it with a baggie to keep humidity hi - they root fast and you can later put them all together with the mama plant.
Yes - it will benefit from repotting. The soil you can use is African Violet mix plus 1/3 perlite.

Are you fertilizng it? Weak solution of AV fertilizer or fish emulsion works miracles.

There are many-many hybrids and species with different habits. Some bloom once a year. some need cool temperature to stimulate the bloom setting. So -if you crack the window to let some cool air in - may be it will get it.

By the way - they like light - but in my experience - morning light is the best - and they do not get enough if the glass is tinted or has heavy e-coating. Something is missing in the light.

Good Luck

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here