Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?

treehugger101
9 years ago

I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was given a wonderful list. I think it was Dave? I apologize for forgetting who helped. I bought everyone I could find which was not many. In any case, I have decided to buy only fragrant streps and see which have the best/strongest scent to post here. If anyone has a fragrant strep I would love to talk about a trade of leaves. I plan to try and breed some on a small scale to get a powerful scent. Many of you are probably laughing right now : ) and any input at this stage would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I think it's wonderful...most breeders started as hobbyists.

I don't believe any of my streps are fragrant..but I'll check as they flower.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone on a recent thread wanted to know why AV are so much more popular. Well, if growers concentrated on fragrance it would differentiate streps from AV big time. Any growers here? I am putting out the call!

• judyj
    9 years ago

:-)

Hi TH, I have one-Goose Egg. Though I wasn't particularly keen on the color I was fascinated at having a fragrant blooming, houseplant.

Though I've not ordered any since July (when I got the Goose Egg), I'm also going to put more effort into finding the varieties that Dave listed. My last order, I focused as well on the more exotic flowering types. Now they're all getting ready to bloom soon (Goose Egg will have it's first by the end of the week, WOW in another couple, the rest a week further out from there), and I can hardly wait!

Since I still have room for plenty more babies (my house is starting to have them everywhere!), I'll look through.

Tell me what you ordered (you can email me directly if you like, it's fine), and I'll try to order counterpoint to that so we can trade if we want!

Best,
    Judy

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judy, I can't get email so I can't pm. Sorry guys. I also have Goose Egg, Suzie Cutie, Sally Mander and Potpourri. These were the only fragrant steps I could find anywhere. I would love to swap! Thanks,

Terri

• judyj
    9 years ago

It did come through so hopefully mine got back to you!

Today I bought two AVs on impulse and am now kind of regretting it... My husband and the garden guy (who we know well) loved these two. They're both from Harmony, and I can say I don't care much for their AVs. The flower colors are kind of pretty, and one has girl leaves, which I didn't have...but, I can live without them!

Ha, I'm almost with Dave in that I'm just about ready to cut back my AV population to replace with streps. Can't get rid of my trailers yet though-well, maybe one or two , but I think, no more standard AVs, just micros... and maybe one or two minnies!

Really, we only have so many places to put them in enough light!

TH, let me know please if you got my response!

Best,
    Judy

• judyj
    9 years ago

Hi Terri,
    I was just going through some lookups and came across this website for Demetris Streps. Several of them have descriptions as being fragrant. I'm going to check them out here soon.

http://www.streptocarpus-info.com/tabledimetris.html

• tonibaumgard
    9 years ago

Hi Judy, I am a newbie and trying to learn all I can. Please tell me what you mean by "girl leaves" on the AV's This is a new term to me. toni

• judyj
    9 years ago

Hi Toni,
    No worries-
    I'm really using the term to describe scalloped leaves (edges). However, that's not completely correct (though it's used that way often). It's actually a leaf type (yep, scalloped) that showed up on a particular hybrid. The one I bought has deeply scalloped edges.

Optimara has a couple articles.

Here's an article on leaf types in general (though they say that girl leaves have to have a distinct cream spot in the center, I think we've moved away from that need).

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/1347387

Best,
    Judy

• User
    9 years ago

I have DS-In the Wind and DS-L'epatage d' Alchime.

Dave

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

Can anyone give a description of what sort of scents you have noticed from Streps so far? I am intrigued.

I have a few fragrant orchids (as well as fragrant garden flowers of course). As time goes on, I find myself wanting to focus more and more on plants with strong fragrance.

• User
    9 years ago

Terri, I have an extra Cape Essence I could swap or send for postage. It starts as a large unifoliate then grows into a rosette. You can contact me through Gardenweb if you are interested.

Dave