Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

How Would You Describe Strep Fragrance?

treehugger101
9 years ago

I am just starting to collect fragrant streps and mine are all babies. For those who have them, how would you describe the fragrance? Is it floral like violets?

Comments (4)

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After doing some research, it seems most of the so called fragrant streps are not fragrant at all. Or they have what is described as creosote smell which is terrible. So my question is do any of you have scented streps that have a pleasant smell? I really appreciate your input and opinions!

• judyj
    9 years ago

My Goose Egg just bloomed and it's got a very light, sweet fragrance to it. We'll have to see how it goes with having a few more blooms. I'm going to check to see if there's a method for enhancing the fragrance in a plant. It's certainly done with roses.

I've never heard of them having a creosote smell to them, though I can believe that not all "scented" streps come out scented. It may be that there are environmental factors in getting the fragrance to come out properly.

Best,
    Judy

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I just posted this (somewhere) and so I'm thinking of it. Sweet Autumn clematis is described as having a pleasant almost jasmine like sweet scent. My experiences with one plant (friend's house) is both a pleasant vanilla scent and a foul odor that should attract flies.
    I attribute it to temperature differences.
    I suspect something like that is in play with the streps...also nutritional differences can affect odor.

Point being, one sniff doesn't describe the flower...try different times or day and different ages of the flower.

• judyj
    9 years ago

Today I was repotting the streps I got from Ebay. One of them is Mysticism (M). It *Does* have a scent-somewhat faint-but sweet and melony. The seller did not describe it as being scented but Dave had it on his list, so I bought it!

Dbarron you're absolutely correct, IMHO. Environment seems to have a lot to do with it. My goose egg is less fragrant than M, but it's been under lights for quite a while. I would have thought that more heat would produce higher scent, but perhaps I'm wrong. M has been sitting with the other two from Ebay, on my counter, while trying to bring them round. I've another coming from Gary next week-had two on order, though I can't remember what the first one is. He called last night and is out of King of Kings (which is supposedly scented).

Of course since mine is only a sample of two, so we'll see what the next bring. My Beloved isn't blooming right now (one of the Ebay buys), but does have one tiny bud, so maybe we'll get lucky there too!
    Best,
    Judy

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks