Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP ! I need Streptocarpus advice....

Posted by PatrickAlan Zone 6/NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 04 at 8:25

Hi,
I am new to Streps, and have some plants recently acquired (From Ebay). The plants are young, in solo/deli cups, not in bud, and appear to me to be very fragile. I'm not sure what care they need at this stage - I'm not used to dealing with such young, immature plants....My African Violets of course are always purchased locally and in full bloom.....
but the care of these Streps is the same????
I don't want to kill these young plants...
Can anyone offer some advice on caring for these young recently acquired plants....
Isn't there any place to buy fully grown Streptocarpus plants????

Thanks,
ALAN
New Jersey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP ! I need Streptocarpus advice....

Hi Alan,

There was a post a little while ago about general strep care, a few pages down. I've made a link to it below. It will be difficult to buy fully grown plants mail order because they are generally too big to ship without receiving a lot of damage. If you are lucky you might find some in a high quality local nursery. You might also try sales from gesneriad plant groups. There's one in your area at the Frelinghuysen (sp?) arboretum next month. Actually I think it's an African violet society but they will surely sell streps as well. Usually those aren't huge either, though. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion on basic strep care

o
RE: HELP ! I need Streptocarpus advice....

When I have very young or variegated streps, I water from the outside in.....I water to the outside of the pot, not directly to the plant and let it soak into the rest...streps do not like to be overwatered, and will rot when they are really small very quickly. If I have not been clear just give a holler and I will try and explain better. I also do this with my young Chirita's, these 2 seem more sensitive of water than the rest of the gessies.

Maggie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here