Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littleseedling

New owner of florist gloxinia needs help!

LittleSeedling
19 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband surprised me last night by coming home with a beautiful Gloxinia Sinningias - and yes, he indeed bought it at the florist next door from where he works...

My first thought was that I should have no problem with it since it's in the same family as African Violets - I have 2 dozens of those - but after searching the 'net I now realize that the care is completely different, and from what I've been reading those wonderful plants are some of the hardest to keep alive, never mind blooming!

So a few questions for all your experts...

Any good links on detailed care for those plants? Something that would tell me if, for example, I have to deadhead spent flowers, pot size, things like that?

Are they really that hard to care for? After all the reading I've done I'm now wondering if it's going to live more than one week!

I have 2 emplacement choices for it: under fluorescent lights with my African Violets, or hanging in front of a south facing window (it would get no direct sun in that location, but plenty of bright light filtered by a blind)

Thank you everyone for your help!

Comments (3)