Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alsobia repotting question

Posted by frazzledgessie 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 10:28

I am new at growing gesneriads and especially Alsobias. My problem right now is with a 'Cygnet' I bought earlier this year. It was doing great and doubled in size and bloomed for me, but I let it get overly cold for several days in a row and it lost most of it's lower leaves. I was wondering if like with an african violet if I could repot it and just bury the stem or will I have to live with the long bare stem now? Thank you for an advice you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alsobia repotting question

F. -

If you pin the bare part of stems to the soil and cover them with a thin layer of a new soil - they will root and give you new shoots.

I.

o

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll try that on one of the plants to see how it goes. I read that Alsobia goes dormant in the winter, is it too late in the year to try this now? Thanks again.

o

Frazzled-

why do you think it will go dormant? It shouldn't.

If it is warm, has enough light and well fed - it will keep growing and blooming non stop. And since it is a tropical ground cover - it will root if it touches the soil - and continue spreading.

Please check if it is what you have.

Good luck

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Cygnet

o

Oh, I'm silly I just assumed since it was a window plant that it would go dormant soon. But it does have new blooms forming on it, so maybe nothing will change with winter. Thank you for the link. That is the plant I have. The flowers are amazing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here