Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice Columnea repotting question

Posted by dorisbb (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 10:48

I just acquired two columneas in 2-inch pots: one microphylla and one Broget Stavanger. The date on the labels is 3/25, which I assume means that I should repot them now. Here's my query: My house is kept very cool and will be getting cooler as the autumn progresses. The plants are under lights in my bedroom, which is the coolest place in the house but happens to be where my quarantine light stand is located. Also, frankly, I don't think I'm a very competent repotter. Will repotting them now pose a danger? Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice Columnea repotting question

Hi,

Columneas repot quite well. Because the plants are so small and so new I would use the following method to repot them. First take the columeas completely out of the two inch pots being very careful to preserve the root ball. Then take your new pot and put the old pot inside the new pot. Put potting soil between the old pot and new pot being sure that the new pot's lip is at the same height as the old pot's lip. When you're done you will have a mold into which you can put the old root ball.

Good luck,

Larry

o

Dear Larry:

What a great idea! Thank you so much.

Doris

o

And columneas like it cold - it stimulates their blooming. Guess that it simulates the change of the season for them.

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here