Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online

philpet
9 years ago

Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning, along with instructions on how to sow them. As suggested I will only be doing half of them, also the instructions says I should cover them but I don't think I will.when I tried to root my AVs leaves this way they always rot, I will sow them as instructed but leave the top open.when I sow them I will post a pic, hopefully I will get a few to germinate.wish me luckðÂÂÂ.Velleta

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

Philpet, do not cover them with soil. However, do cover the container. The key to seeds is not to wet the soul too much! You want the soil to be moist not wet. In my experience, seeds should sprout in about 10-14 days. Good luck!

Dave G.

• judyj
    9 years ago

Congratulations Velleta!

Dave's so correct-you need to be very careful about that! If I plant leaves in soil that's damp but it dries out-I just spray the soil with water to moisten it a little! So you're better erring on the side of dry!

Do cover them also as Dave says-it protects them and keeps the moisture in!

Let us know how it goes!

Best,
    Judy

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dave and Judy, I am very excited.i planted them tonight after work and here is the finish product.i covered it with a piece of clear plastic as you both suggested.so let's hope in a few weeks I will have something to show you guys.now the waiting begins again.ðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

You should be seeing tiny green fuzz (possibly discernible as leaves) by now.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I am DbarronðÂÂÂ. I check on them last night.ðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, when you get the first true leaves, you have to show us a baby picture.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I willðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

It's time for a wellness check...how are the babies ?

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi DbarronðÂÂÂ,growing very slowly.i have not removed the covering as yet but I have opened it sometimes for air.should I removed it slowly now?.Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, here's what I'd do (but bear in mind I live in a less humid area than you), I'd wait till it was getting close to transplant time to start hardening them off, by slowing weaning them off artificial high humidity.

My reasoning would be while they're this tiny and in a flat type environment, watering is dangerous and can wash them up, turn them sideways, bury the leaves, etc.

If you choose, you could transplant a few at this size, and hold others ? That would give you a chance to see what works best.

One thing you should NOT do, is put them in something far too big for them. That's really bad...in general...and especially for streps. So if you do individually transplant, you should look for something between thimblesized and maybe 1 inch pots.

Once they're in some sort of more individual (maybe small clumps still?) pot, I can bottom water till they're larger.

Since you're in a tropical environment already, it may be that your humidity is nearly like being covered anyway :) I don't know...but that's what I'd do in my conditions and why.

I have mixed feelings about transplants, admittedly transplanted at this stage, they feel little to no transplant shock, but unless you just want to move them on (I might...not sure...due to watering advantages), I would probably keep them here another month or so...and hope for second pair of leaves. They're clearly growing a bit (though slowly).

This post was edited by dbarron on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 8:33

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks, I think I will leave them be for a few more weeks ð they are so small I fear handling them.they don't need watering as yet since they are still covered.and I have no idea why they are growing so slowly, at this rate I will be old and walking with a stick before I see one mature enough to bloomðÂÂÂ.Velleta

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!