Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to propagate chirita tamiana by seeds?

Posted by mari11 z5a Toronto (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 1, 08 at 14:25

I read a few posts about easy propagation of this chirita, but haven't found exact instructions. My chirita finished bloomimg and in a while seed pods turned down not being dry yet. How do I know seeds are ready for harvesting? What do I do with them to grow plants?
I will appreciate any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to propagate chirita tamiana by seeds?

Hi -
as soon as you seed pod will dry - you sprinkle the seeds on the surface of the premoistened soil (1;1;1), mist it - and cover the container. Salad plastic containers work OK.
They need light but not direct sunlight and if the soil gets dry - mist it again - and in no time you would have hundreds of miniscule seedlings popping up. You wait until you are comfortable to handle them - and start repotting.

Good Luck

Irina

o
RE: How to propagate chirita tamiana by seeds?

My tamianas don't usually produce seeds out of every flower. I guess they don't always self-pollinate successfully. If the seedpod remains skinny, bends down and falls off soon after the flower wilted, then seeds didn't develop. If self-pollination was successful, the seedpod will grow fatter, and then only after a few days it will dry up and then split along its length. It will be noticeably fatter, you'll know right away when you see it. For a few of the first flowering cycles I didn't get any seeds from my plant, and then I started getting maybe one seedpod per flower stem. It could be that older plants will have seeds more often, but I don't know for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here