Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I had to bring it in... now what?

Posted by Komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 04 at 15:02

One of the seeds from the AGGS packet turned out to be this thing:

I think Jon gave it a tentative id of an annual chirita when it was still a baby. Well, a few months ago, I knocked it over, bending the stalk and breaking the top. But it's still growing.... Now it's about 3 ft tall and about the same wide, and the stem is about 2-3" in diameter. It is growing out of that small grey pot in the picture (6 or 7") - I was hoping that keeping it in a small pot might make it bloom earlier, but no......

Since our temperatures just dropped, I brought it in. I have no natural light to speak of, so the only thing I can provide is some space under the banks of fluorescents. But with the height of the plant, I'm not sure this will work very well.

What do you think? Do I have a chance of getting this to the flower and seed stage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I had to bring it in... now what?

• Posted by Cabarb Z 9- Fresno, CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 6, 04 at 15:23

Wow...I know nothing about that plant (not much help, am I??) but it certainly looks very very healthy! Barb

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 6, 04 at 18:05

Where is John B. He is the chirita guy. I thought it was one of the annuals but now I don't know. I think it is still a chirita but maybe it isn't annual. I think there are some shrubby species from places like Thailand. I wonder if one of them made it into the mixed seed. Otherwise I just don't recognize it. Try to give it light from the light stand. You could root some cuttings and grow them directly under the lights. Or, make a shelf with lights higher up for taller plants, which is what I have. I am curious to know what it is. You certainly have very nice foliage on it.

o

• Posted by Komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 6, 04 at 20:40

hmmm. Well there has been some foliage damage since the picture, which is a few weeks old. I doubt it is shrubby as there is no sign at all of anything woody - the stem looks like 99.9% water. Now I have to boot an orchid from under the lights to make space...... LOL

o

I'm also interested in these since I too have 3 of them from the AGGS mixed seeds. Mine are still small though. I agree with the Chirita ID because they are very similar to C. Involucrata that I grew from seed. The biggest difference is the involucrata has smaller leaves. Those plants are pretty big now and show no sign of blooming. I've tried keeping them potbound to keep them small but they don't respond well to that treatment. I may have to toss them since I don't really have room to grow large plants.

o

Well, don't toss them. Offer for postage if nothing else. They're lovely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here