Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Kohleria Linnea

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I am still new to Gesneriads but have been building a collection over the past fer months. So far I have several Sinningia sp, Chirita and Petrocosmea leaf cuttings, a Kohleria warzewickzii rhizome and a small plant of Gloxinella lindeniana. I also have some seedlings from seed I got from Brazil Plants, Palavania tenufolia, Seemania puprurescens, Sinningia rio das pedras and Sinningia douglasii.

I grow mostly Hoyas and species orchids and I generally stick to growing species vs hybrids when it comes to plants because I just find growing species and learning about them more interesting although some hybrids are quite spectacular in their own right!

This brings me to my question about sp. vs hybrid when it comes to naming. I recently saw a Kohleria Linnea rhizome for sale on Ebay. Because the word Linnea is capitalized I would assume that the plant is a hybrid but the fact that it was named after the Swedish father of modern taxonomy Carl Linnaeus makes me wonder if it is a species or just someone paying homage to Mr. Linnaeus. Does anyone have information on this Kohleria?

Mike

Comments (9)