Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohleria Linnea

Posted by mikedahms London Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 15:16

I am still new to Gesneriads but have been building a collection over the past fer months. So far I have several Sinningia sp, Chirita and Petrocosmea leaf cuttings, a Kohleria warzewickzii rhizome and a small plant of Gloxinella lindeniana. I also have some seedlings from seed I got from Brazil Plants, Palavania tenufolia, Seemania puprurescens, Sinningia rio das pedras and Sinningia douglasii.

I grow mostly Hoyas and species orchids and I generally stick to growing species vs hybrids when it comes to plants because I just find growing species and learning about them more interesting although some hybrids are quite spectacular in their own right!
This brings me to my question about sp. vs hybrid when it comes to naming. I recently saw a Kohleria Linnea rhizome for sale on Ebay. Because the word Linnea is capitalized I would assume that the plant is a hybrid but the fact that it was named after the Swedish father of modern taxonomy Carl Linnaeus makes me wonder if it is a species or just someone paying homage to Mr. Linnaeus. Does anyone have information on this Kohleria?

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohleria Linnea

According to a 1992 article by L.P. Kvist and L.E. Skog, both of the Smithsonian Institution, there are 19 species of Kohleria. None of them is named K. linnea. Bear in mind this article is now 18 years old and more recent taxonomic revisions may have added this species. The article can be found at: http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontributions/Botany/pdf_hi/sctb-0079.pdf

Another possibility is that this is a name that was used for a previously described species that had already been given a different name. Rules require that the original name be used and any following name be discarded. Therefore, K. linnaea may be properly called by another name. I have not been able to verify this though.

o

Thanks for the reply. I was able to find some information about this plant and it is in fact a hybrid. The name Linnea is apparently quite common in Sweden where the hybrid is from and it is the last name of the hybridizer.

Mike

o

Mike -

Lately Swedish hybridizers developed quite a spectacular series of large blooming Kohlerias. They say - it is so gloomy for a good part of the year - you just need to have somehing cheerful. I just saw Kohleria "Ingrid" - the flower is HUGE.

The one you got is very beautiful.

Enjoy the link to the Swedish Gesneriad site.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Gesneriasterna

o

Thanks for the link Irina, there are some very nice photos of some equally nice plants.
I can't wait for my Kolerias to be large enough to bloom. I was able to add a few more to my collection since my first post.

Mike

o

Kohleria 'Linnéa' is my hybrid. I live in Sweden and have grown gesneriads for 20 years soon. My favorite genera is Kohleria and Smithiantha and Kohleria 'Linnéa is namned after my daughter (who was namned after Carl von Linné). I also namned another Kohlera 'Carl'(as one of my sons also is called :-)
Today I run an interet webshop with gesneriads
Greetings from Mia Hermansson

o

Guys -

we have an eye candy!!!

Mia's Webshop has the most beautiful photos of gesneriads.

That's a pity Mia only sends plants within the European Union.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Mia Hermansson's Webshop

o

Hi Irina,

Thanks for the website! Nice photos.

Larry

o

WOW. thank you for sharing that link.

o

Blommia thank you so much for the info about your Kohleria cross. This Kohleria is such a sturdy grower it's really a wonderful plant, I can't wait for blooms.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here