Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fxxy

Achimenes

fxxy
14 years ago

Any fans on this forum??? I would like to propagate my collapsing plants before they go dormant for the winter. I will do it under lights. Has anybody tried this?? Can these plants be kept active under lights???? I haven't gotten many rhizomes this year, although they bloomed well.

Comments (8)

• irina_co
    14 years ago

I tried to do it - what happened - the plant was already at the end of its cycle, but when I rooted the tips under the dome - they stayed around enough to produce a rhizome or 2. I think even bloomed a bit, but looked ratty.

I.

I like Achimenes erecta Tiny Red. Grows well under the lights.

• JohnnieB
    14 years ago

Achimenes are strongly seasonal plants and will eventually go dormant no matter what you do so there's not much point in trying to propagate from cuttings this time of year. You can encourage rhizome formation by letting them dry out between waterings, and finally withholding water entirely. Short days help also, if the plants are receiving natural light. Once the plants are "dead" all you need to do is harvest the rhizomes. The pots should be full of them but if there are just one or two good-sized rhizomes, keep them dormant as you normally would and when they start to sprout in the spring you can just break them into two or three pieces, and each piece will grow a new plant. In the meantime, keep the rhizomes cool and dry over the winter--too warm and/or wet and they will get moldy or rot, or may sprout prematurely.

• fxxy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is there a special group of fans of Achimenes???? I'm a real fan of these plants and wuould like to find some like-minded people.

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

I love achimenes. I also like how they have a pretty much set dormancy time period. I know when they start going to just let them go and put them in my cellar until spring when I take them out and water. I don't think I've seen any achimenes groups. I think you should go ahead and try some cuttings and see what happens. It is probably too late, but you never know, you might get a rhizome to grow...leaves will also root and sometimes grow a rhizome. Yellow Queen is a plant I took cuttings earlier and the stems and leaves made some rhizomes, they are all showing signs of going dormant now, (meaning all the Yellow Queen). I bought some rhizomes at the Gesneriad Convention in July so they got a late start and it was really too late to get flowers this year, a couple are blooming now, a few are fading and several have already gone dormant. (I got a lot of different ones and was a little disapointed not to be able to see them bloom this year).

tish

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Tish -

you are right - the reason they didn't bloom for you- they need to get started in March. You are for a treat this coming season ;-)). I got some rhizomes too - and they were so old- never woke up....

Irina

• ebb007
    14 years ago

hello all, i was wondering if i was the only person who loves achimenes. glad i found this forum. i have lots of purple and would love to trade for other colors. have looked for a good source to order different colors. would appreciate any help i can get.
    thanks kathy

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Kathy -

it is still early for Achimenes to be shipped - you need to wait till March.

Check Michael Kartuz place kartuz.com and Judy Becker's lauray.com

Keep an eye on X-achimenanthas - it is a hybrid between Smithiantha and Achimenes - they are very close to Achimenes - with more pizzazz. I like X-achimenantha "Inferno" - it is fiery red with a yellow throat.

Good Luck

Irina

• ebb007
    14 years ago

irina, thank you for your info. will order as soon as i can. MUST have your x-achimeanthas. what a beauty....